Ellington to head WVU's Student Life Division on interim basis; screening committee formed to help identify a new VP
Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Michael A. Ellington has been named interim vice president for Student Life, effective immediately, West Virginia University President Gordon Gee announced today (July 1).
Ellington’s appointment comes with a new name for the division to better represent its focus, Gee said. He replaces long-time administrator Ken Gray, who retired last month.
Gee also named Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Dean Bob Jones to head a screening committee for the new vice president. The committee will work in conjunction with the Parker Executive Group, hired to assist with the recruitment and logistics of the search.
Ellington came to the University in 1993 as assistant director for Mountainlair operations and later became director of the Mountainlair – WVU’s multi-purpose student union. He was named assistant vice president – then later associate vice president for Student Affairs – overseeing the Mountainlair, residential dining and catering, arts and entertainment, capital improvement projects, community relations and many other support programs aimed at enriching students’ lives.
He also worked at the University of Maryland Baltimore County overseeing the UMBC University Center and as the assistant director of business affairs prior to coming to WVU.
Active in the community, Ellington is district governor of Rotary District 7530, and serves on the Main Street Morgantown Executive Board. He is a past member of the WVU Alumni Association board of directors. Professionally, he is a member of the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, the West Virginia Association of Personnel Administrators and the National Association of College and University Food Services, among others.
Serving on the Student Life Vice Presidential Screening Committee, along with Dean Jones, are:
- Syed Akhtar, student, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Ryan Campione, immediate past president, Student Government Association
- Kathy Curtin, Dining Services
- Lisa M. DiBartolomeo, Faculty Senate chair (2013-14), WVU Board of Governors faculty representative
- Tom Dover, chair, Student Affairs Visiting Committee
- David Fryson, Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- T. Anne Hawkins, WELLWVU/Carruth Center for Psychological and Psychiatric Services
- James Johnson, Office of Multicultural Programs, Student Life
- Bernadette Jungblut, assessment and retention, Undergraduate Academic Affairs
- Jessica Keenan, student, biochemistry
- Chris Nyden, student, economics, president, Student Government Association
- Tricia Petty, University Relations
- Tina Takacs, Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs
CONTACT: University Relations/News
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.