Reaction to Friday’s appointment of E. Gordon Gee as president of West Virginia University:

West Virginia Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin:
“E. Gordon Gee’s long and distinguished record in higher education began at WVU’s College of Law in 1979 and in 1981 as the youngest university president in the country. There are many great things on the horizon at our state’s land-grant institution. I’m confident Gee will provide the leadership skills necessary to maintain the University’s positive momentum.”

-0-

U.S. Senator Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va.:
“I’m joining with members in the West Virginia University community in offering E. Gordon Gee a warm welcome back to the state as president of WVU. As Governor, I worked closely with him over a number of years, and he brings a wealth of experience from a diverse and prestigious number of institutions of higher learning. I’m looking forward to working with him again as he advances the school’s mission over the next several months.”

-0-

Jim Clements, current president, West Virginia University:
“Gordon Gee is a seasoned higher education leader who knows West Virginia well and is very passionate about WVU and our land-grant mission. He brings a wealth of experience that will help him continue the very positive trajectory the university is on. WVU is a great place with a solid strategic plan, outstanding faculty, staff and students, a great administrative team, passionate alumni and a supportive Board, and I am convinced that the momentum will continue. As I told the Board of Governors, I will do everything I can to assist with a smooth transition for WVU.”

-0-

Michele Wheatly, provost and vice president of academic affairs, WVU:
“I’m very excited to work with someone like Gordon Gee. He has led some very prestigious academic institutions and brings a great deal of knowledge and experience with him. I look forward to learning from, and working with, one of the best higher education leaders in America.”

-0-

Christopher C. Colenda MD, MPH, chancellor, Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center:
“Dr. E. Gordon Gee is well known to have a keen interest in and has been a strong supporter of the missions and values that academic health science centers bring to universities and to the citizens of the states they serve. Many people may not be aware of this, but without Gee, Ruby Memorial Hospital might never have been built 25 years ago. It was his innovative idea to create a non-profit corporation to build a new hospital that was desperately needed at a time when the state couldn’t afford to do so. I look forward to working with him and welcoming him back to the university.”

-0-

David C. Hardesty, president emeritus and professor of law, WVU:
“Gordon Gee is among the most experienced and well known university leaders in the country. He has stayed in touch with WVU, speaking at various functions over the years and calling his acquaintances from time to time. Those who do not know him will find that he is fond of bowties and has a tremendous sense of humor. He also has enormous leadership capacity. His appointment will give us increased national exposure and will likely instill confidence in the transition and search process. The board seems to have seized on an important opportunity for WVU.”

-0-

Lisa DiBartolomeo, chair, WVU Faculty Senate and faculty representative on BOG:
“The selection of E. Gordon Gee as WVU’s next interim president bodes well for WVU’s future. That a recognized scholar and leader of his stature and experience is willing to cap off his career in higher-education administration here at WVU clearly marks us on the national and international map, and demonstrates that we are poised to continue the great strides we have made under Jim Clements’ leadership. For the faculty, I can say that we respect Dr. Gee, and look forward to partnering with him. Dr. Gee’s presence on campus signals to those who might consider applying to be our next president that we have garnered positive national attention, and that we are serious about the future of our academic mission. He raises our game to the next level, and I’m excited to get to work with him. Our hope is also that Dr. Gee will serve as a solid ally in helping advocate for protection for higher education from further crippling budget cuts in West Virginia, as universities and colleges represent the future success of our state and its residents. I came back to WVU because I have roots here and consider it my home, and I am happy to see that Dr. Gee feels a similar tie to WVU and the Mountain State.”

-0-

Dr. Robert Griffith, faculty representative, WVU Board of Governors:
“I am absolutely delighted Gordon Gee has been selected to be Interim President of WVU. His first presidency was WVU and he’s always had a place in his heart for us. He’s been a successful leader at five major universities in his career, and like us, Ohio State is a land-grant university with a comprehensive health sciences schools, including my alma mater, The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy. He knows us well, understands the challenges faced by university health care schools, and is eager to take this position. I am confident he will be a wonderful interim president. Once a Mountaineer, always a Mountaineer.

-0-

Lisa Martin, president, WVU Staff Council:
“I’m excited that Dr. Gee will be coming back to West Virginia University. It says a lot about his character and leadership style that he’s held in such high esteem to be invited back to fill a position he once held. Dr. Gee’s familiarity with WVU will be a great asset as he begins his term as interim president. On behalf of Staff Council, I look forward to working with Dr. Gee and continuing the momentum Classified Staff has experienced under President Clements’ tenure.”

-0-

Oliver Luck, athletic director, WVU:
“The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is delighted with the news that Dr. Gee will serve as WVU’s interim President. He is an accomplished leader in higher education and will be a tremendous asset for the University. He has always been a vocal supporter of intercollegiate athletics, and he understands the significance that our program has to our state. We look forward to working with him.”

-0-

Ryan Campione, president, WVU Student Government Association:
“I am really excited to welcome Gordon Gee back to WVU! Gordon Gee has a rich history of personally engaging with and taking the time to know students. During this time of transition, Student Government is eager to work with him to continue the recent positive momentum within the University. We look forward to soon building an open line of communication between Gordon and students.”

-0-

Wayne King, president and CEO, WVU Foundation:
“E. Gordon Gee brings with him a lifetime of accomplishments in higher education, not the least of which is his success in private fundraising. The WVU Foundation is looking forward to working with Dr. Gee in continuing to build momentum during our comprehensive campaign, and we extend a hearty Mountaineer welcome back to Morgantown.”

-0-

John Fahey, chairman, WVU Alumni Association:
“We just hit a home run in securing Dr. Gee as our interim president, and we really appreciate his stepping up to the plate to serve the University once again. No one in the country is more proven and has more know-how; Gordon approaches all of his tasks with such a sense of enthusiasm and skill. With those qualities, he not only will maintain, but increase the momentum we have going here. I am certain you will see him involved in many of our alumni initiatives and functions. With regard to the search for a replacement, it seems that the consensus among those who I’m hearing from is to find someone with similar characteristics to Jim Clements. Someone with a great deal of energy; an individual that has a sense of urgency and excitement and demonstrates candor, insight and creativity. Someone who wants to make a difference!”

-0-

Steve Douglas, president and CEO, WVU Alumni Association
“We are pleased Gordon Gee is returning to his ‘roots’ – the place where he began his illustrious career as a young, college president nearly 33 years ago. He is a proven leader who will bring continuity, enthusiasm and passion to West Virginia University. The Mountaineer Nation is excited, and we look forward to working with him.”

-0-

Gene Budig, former president of WVU, Illinois State University and the American League:
“The Gee appointment speaks volumes for the national reputation of West Virginia. It shows his strong confidence in WVU and its position of strength. Gordon also understands the university’s vital need for private fundraising. No university president can match his extraordinary success over 30 years in rising vast amounts of private funding for faculty research, student scholarships and athletics. Furthermore, Dr. Gee brings a unique understanding of the health sciences, business, energy resources, and the need for strength in the liberal arts and the fine arts. I congratulate the Board on its wise judgment.”

-0-

Peter Magrath, president, Binghamton University and former interim president of WVU:
“I’ve known Gordon since 1981, when he became president of WVU. He’s one of my closest friends on the planet. I knew this was going to happen, and this is an absolutely perfect decision for WVU. He loves WVU, as I do, and has a special place in his heart for the University. He will strengthen WVU—he is a very good fundraiser—until a permanent president emerges. I congratulate Jim Dailey and the BOG for acting quickly and making a really smart move.”

-0-

Neil Bucklew, professor of management and industrial relations and past president, WVU:
“I had the good fortune to follow Gordon as president of WVU. That experience illustrated for me the care and thoughtfulness he brings to an important administrative assignment. This transition period is an important time for the University community and we will be in good hands. I cannot think of anyone who can do a better job of melding an extensive track record in higher education leadership with an understanding of this particular university. Welcome home, Gordon.”

CONTACT: University Relations/News
304.293.6997