West Virginia University leaders applauded Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin’s appointment Friday (Jan. 13) of David B. Alvarez, a Bridgeport businessman, to the institution’s Board of Governors.

“David Alvarez will make a great addition to our board,” said BOG Chair Drew Payne. “He is a well respected businessman and a great Mountaineer supporter. We welcome him.”

Alvarez, president of MEC Construction in Bridgeport, received a bachelor’s degree in business administration from WVU in 1985. He is a former member of the WVU Alumni Association Board of Directors and currently serves on the WVU School of Medicine Visiting Committee. He also serves on many professional and community organizations, including MEDBROOK Children’s Charity and MVB Bank. He was recently recognized with the FBI’s national Director’s Community Leadership Award for his long-time support of law enforcement and youth and children in crisis.

“I’m looking forward to working with David Alvarez,” said WVU President James P. Clements. “I’ve had the privilege to interact with him over the past few years and know he absolutely loves West Virginia and WVU. He’s coming on board during an exciting time with so much positive momentum and with our 2020 Strategic Plan for the Future in high gear.”

“I love West Virginia University,” Alvarez said. “It’s my passion, and to be part of the exciting things our flagship university is engaged in – and the direction President Clements has it headed – is humbling.

“I am appreciative of the governor’s confidence in me, and look forward to my service on the Board,” he said.

Alvarez will fill the unexpired term of Carolyn Long through June 30, 2014. Long resigned in December to apply for the interim executive transitional officer position at the WVU Institute of Technology. She was appointed to that post, effective Jan. 1.

The Board’s next meeting is Feb. 24, where Alvarez will be officially sworn in.

bl/01/13/12

CONTACT: University Relations/News
304.293.6997