The program, run by Professor Carolyn Atkins of the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders in the College of Education and Human Services, has helped countless student athletes tell their unique stories and hone their speaking skills for over two decades. The students presenting today have developed their speeches throughout the spring semester in Atkins’ course, CSAD 270: Effective Public Speaking. Video recordings of their speeches will be available for view on saso.wvu.edu following the event.
“As usual, we have a diverse group of student-athletes who have interesting messages to share for any age group,” Atkins says.
The speakers, listed with the sport they represent and the title of their speech, are:
• Patrick Sunderman, rifle, “What Strengthens Me”
• Jake Williams, swimming, “Conquering Fear of Failure”
• Rebekah LaFata, pole vault, “Philippians 4:13”
• Chris Nelson, wrestling, “Who are You?”
• Amy Cashin, cross country and track, “Embracing Change”
• Zachary Moore, wrestling, “You Just Have to Care”
CONTACT: Carolyn Atkins; WVU College of Education and Human Services;
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.