Gary G. Furbee, II will serve as West Virginia University’s interim general counsel effective today (Sept. 21), Vice President for Legal, Government, and Entrepreneurial Engagement Rob Alsop announced.

Furbee fills the vacancy created by April Min who has accepted a position with Jackson Kelly PLLC in Morgantown. Min joined the University in 2010, and was named associate vice president for legal affairs and general counsel in 2014.

“I am grateful for April’s service and dedication to the University and I wish her well in her new endeavor. I know that she will be successful,” said Alsop. “And I am thrilled that Gary will serve as our interim general counsel. He is a tremendous lawyer and I know that he will continue to provide excellent legal services to the University.”

Furbee earned his political science degree from WVU in 2000 and his law degree from the WVU College of law in 2003. He joined the University’s legal staff in 2008 and most recently served as senior associate general counsel.

“I sincerely appreciate this opportunity to lead the General Counsel’s Office and to help guide my alma mater as it moves forward,” Furbee said.

Before coming to WVU, Furbee was state counsel for Old Republic National Title Insurance Company. Prior to this role, he was in private practice and, from 2004 to 2007, was an attorney for students within the University’s Division of Student Life.

A native of Fairmont, Furbee resides in Morgantown with his wife and their two sons.

ak/09/21/15

CONTACT: University Relations
304.293.6997