The West Virginia University Department of Philosophy recently awarded the Daniel B. Purinton Scholarship to undergraduate students Steven Matusic, Megan Padgett and Adam Richmond.

“These students were selected for their excellence in, and commitment to, the study of philosophy,” said Matt Talbert, department chair and associate professor of philosophy. “They were judged to have contributed to the life of the philosophy department in positive ways.”

Matusic is a senior from Pittsburgh. He said that he has long been interested in various philosophical questions as they’re applicable to living a better life.

“I wanted to study something that would both broaden my horizons and prepare me for life itself,” Matusic said.

Padgett is a senior from Virginia Beach, Va. She was introduced to philosophy through WVU’s general education curriculum requirements.

“I took Philosophy 100 my first semester here at WVU and I enjoyed it so much that I decided to add it as a major,” said Padgett, who plans on going into law school next fall.

Richmond is a junior philosophy and Chinese studies major from Buffalo, West Virginia. He is interested in questions related to living a virtuous life, ‘moral oughts’ and the existential self.

“Philosophy has such a wide breadth that it allows me to think critically about everything,” Richmond said.

CONTACT: Devon Copeland, Director of Marketing and Communication, Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, West Virginia University, 304-293-6867,