West Virginia University is close to naming its next Mountaineer Mascot. The final four candidates vying for the position will take place in a cheer-off Monday (Feb. 16) during the WVU men’s basketball game at the WVU Coliseum.

The finalists are: Reed Andrews, a junior chemical engineering major from Morgantown, West Virginia; Ethan Ball, a freshman business marketing major from Princeton, West Virginia; Troy Clemons, a junior sport management major from Maxwelton, West Virginia; and Michael Garcia, a senior political science major from Fairmont, West Virginia.

Andrews, a graduate of Morgantown High School, is volunteer and researcher at the WVU Trauma Service, a volunteer of the WVU Emergency Department and a club officer of the Society of Biological Engineers, among a slew of other activities on campus. His community services experience includes three different volunteer assistant coaching positions at Morgantown High School.

“I would strive to convey the essence of the original West Virginia mountaineers,” Andrews said. “I would spotlight the often underappreciated wealth of natural resources in our state; including the proud and talented people of West Virginia.”

Ball, a graduate of Princeton Senior High School, is the lone freshman in the Martin Hall Agency, a member of the Mountaineer Maniacs, Chi Alpha Student Worship Organization and Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society. Ball’s community service experience includes multiple mission trips across America.

“This state is often symbolized by what is expressed at this exceptional institution,” Ball said. “As the Mountaineer, I would convey the pride and southern hospitality this state demonstrates throughout every mountainous corner with a smile of joy knowing that … I would in fact be the symbol of an entire state.”

Clemons, a graduate from Greenbrier East High School, is a member of the Sport Management Club and the Mountaineer Maniacs. He has been named to the dean’s list and is also a Mountaineer and PROMISE Scholar. Clemons’ community service experience includes Adventure WV and the United Way.

“I would do all that I can to express the overwhelming feeling of pride that I get when I see the ‘Wild and Wonderful’ sign while crossing the state border or the feeling I get when the carpet is rolled out to bring on the Mountaineers,” Clemons said.

Garcia is the current Mountaineer Mascot and will look to become the third mascot in the last decade to hold the honor for two straight academic years. The Fairmont Senior High School graduate is a three-time finalist for the mascot position and is a member of the Mountaineer Maniacs and president of Mountaineers Mentoring Mountaineers, among a slew of other campus and community service activities.

“I have accomplished many things so far since … April. However, I still feel there is much left for me to contribute to the University and the state,” Garcia said. “If given the chance to remain the Mountaineer, I will continue to grow and become an even better representation of what it means to be both a West Virginian and a student at WVU.”

The game between West Virginia and Kansas tips off at 9 p.m. on Monday (Feb. 16). During each half, two of the candidates will have the opportunity to interact with the crowd and work to impress the selection committee stationed throughout the area.

The four were selected from a field of reviewed applicants based off of interviews conducted by a committee of faculty, staff and students. The winner will be announced during the second half of the WVU men’s basketball game vs. Texas on Feb. 24, which tips off at 7 p.m. at the WVU Coliseum.

td/02/15/15

CONTACT: University Relations/News
304.293.6997