The newest recipient of the Esther L. Crane Endowed Scholarship for West Virginia University student veterans is Bradley Morgan, a senior human nutrition and foods student from Lewisburg.

Morgan, who served in the Army for six years, received the $1,000 scholarship to be used for his final year of school. After graduation, Morgan plans to study to become a physician assistant or attend medical school, where he hopes to draw from his experience in the Army to help others.

“I just want to help people,” he said. “I was surprised and happy when I found out I won; This allows me to work less and will help me maintain a high GPA.”

Morgan is the second recipient of the scholarship, which was created in 2012.

The scholarship is funded by WVU alumnus Robert Crane and his wife, Sharon. The two pledged $100,000 in Robert’s mother’s honor to support student veterans at WVU beyond the G.I. Bill. He credits his mother, Esther Crane, a schoolteacher in Jefferson County from Uvilla, West Virginia, with his successful transition from the military into higher education.

Robert Crane spent nine years in the active Army and Army Reserve and attended college on the G.I. Bill. He created the scholarship to give back and help the more than 800 student veterans and their dependents enrolled at WVU achieve their goals. The scholarship is awarded to students who are West Virginia natives, and a preference is given to disabled student veterans.

“Many times the G.I. Bill does not cover all of the costs of a college education, and we wanted to do something as a tribute to our wounded veterans,” Crane said. “They are the real heroes.”

Jerry McCarthy, director of WVU Veteran Affairs, said the scholarship highlights the importance of helping the University’s student veterans work toward their goals and achieve their dreams.

“We are so proud of our student veterans, like Bradley, who have worked so hard toward achieving their dreams and educational goals,” he said. “We are incredibly grateful for Robert and Sharon Crane for their dedication to WVU’s student veterans, and their willingness to help them succeed.”

The endowment was created through the WVU Foundation in conjunction with A State of Minds: The Campaign for West Virginia University.
To learn more about giving to WVU’s veteran students, visit http://sadevelopment.wvu.edu or make a donation to the WVU Veterans Fund online at http://mountaineerconnection.com/GivetoStudentAffairs.

cl/01/27/15

CONTACT: Jerry McCarthy, WVU Veterans Affairs
304.293.8262, Jerry.McCarthy@mail.wvu.edu