Well-known West Virginia broadcast news journalist April Kaull has been appointed assistant director of University Relations/News at West Virginia University, effective immediately, Director John A. Bolt announced today (Dec. 31).

Kaull will oversee the day-to-day operations of the unit which is charged with telling West Virginia University’s story. The unit includes five writers, two multimedia producers and two photographers and is responsible for the University’s primary news website, WVUToday, media and public relations, internal communications, primary social media platforms and has significant responsibility for the WVU magazine and multiple other news outlets for the University.

“April loves West Virginia, loves West Virginia University and loves to tell stories. We are fortunate to be able to add her skill and experience to our already strong team,” Bolt said.

“I feel so fortunate to have this chance to combine my passion for my home state and my alma mater,” Kaull said. “My roots run deep in Morgantown so I’m excited to join WVU’s team there. I look forward to working with a fantastic team and bringing the skills I’ve honed during my years behind the news desk to a new set of storytelling opportunities.”

Since joining WBOY-TV in Clarksburg in 1995, Kaull has risen through the ranks from reporter and producer to vice president of news operations for West Virginia Media LLC, a state-wide media company which purchased WBOY in 2001.

Since 2012, as executive producer for WV Media, she has developed daily news coverage and special programming, coordinating resources from the four WV Media stations and the State Journal weekly newspaper, as well as produced and anchored the company’s Tonight Live, a nightly 30-minute newscast broadcast on all four stations.

She is a 1995 graduate of WVU in broadcast news, and has been an adjunct faculty member at the Reed College of Media.

jb/12/31/14

CONTACT: University Relations/News
304.293.6997