This year’s recipients are Earl G. “Ken” and Randy Kendrick, Milan Puskar Outstanding Philanthropists; Curtis H. “Hank” and Joanne Harner Barnette, Outstanding Volunteer Philanthropists; Daywood Foundation, Hazel Ruby McQuain Outstanding Philanthropic Foundation; and Mylan and Mylan Charitable Foundation, Outstanding Philanthropic Corporation.
The awards, first presented in 2005, were established to honor donors who display exceptional generosity, commitment, leadership and proven records of outstanding civil and charitable devotion to WVU.
“We are thrilled to honor this year’s award recipients for their willingness to give back to our University in so many ways from their philanthropic support and leadership, to dedication of their time and expertise,” said Cindi Roth, president and CEO of the WVU Foundation. “Their deep loyalty and commitment undoubtedly have made West Virginia University a better place, and for that, we are so grateful.”
Earl G. “Ken” and Randy Kendrick
Ken and Randy Kendrick are being honored for their history of generosity and leadership at WVU.
Over the years, the Kendrick’s gifts have primarily benefitted the College of Business and Economics, WVU Athletics and programs dedicated to pediatric vision research. The most transformative, however, remains the Ken and Randy Kendrick Fund for Free Market Research. The fund allows faculty and students to examine ways entrepreneurship is encouraged through lower taxes, reduced regulation, secure private property rights and personal responsibility.
A native of Princeton, W.Va., Mr. Kendrick’s success as an entrepreneur is an inspiration to many West Virginians. Having graduated from WVU in 1965 with a bachelor’s degree in business administration, he passed up the opportunity to attend WVU’s College of Law for a career with IBM. After working in its newly created software division for several years, Mr. Kendrick discovered that there was a niche market for database services, and founded Datatel, Inc., a developer of integrated education and administration fundraising software, in 1968. Kendrick stepped down as president and CEO of Datatel, but remained as chairman of the board until March 2005, when Datatel’s executive team bought out the company’s founders.
In 1995, Mr. Kendrick broadened his business interests when he became a partner in the Major League Baseball expansion team, the Arizona Diamondbacks. In 2001, the Diamondbacks won the World Series. The next year, Kendrick, along with three partners, invested $160 million in the team in exchange for control of the organization. Today, Kendrick serves as managing general partner.
Aside from his generosity to WVU, Mr. Kendrick has also invested his leadership and wealth in the communities that have shaped him. He is one of the main investors in the Dodge Theater in Phoenix. He owns the Bumble Bee Ranch, which serves numerous children’s charities, and supports a variety of organizations that further the interest of youth and of nature conservancy in Arizona and beyond.
Mr. Kendrick currently serves on the WVU Foundation Board of Directors. He is a member of WVU’s Academy of Distinguished Alumni and the West Virginia Business Hall of Fame. Last year, he received an honorary degree from WVU.
Mrs. Kendrick earned her law degree from American University Washington College of Law. She also attended the University of California Davis and Auburn University. She has had a successful career not only as a lawyer, but a teacher and reporter as well.
The Kendricks live in Paradise Valley, Arizona.
Curtis H. “Hank” and Joanne Harner Barnette
Hank and Joanne Barnette are being honored for their service to and support of the University.
Hank Barnette graduated from WVU in 1956 with high honors and a bachelor’s degree in political science. He was student body president, cadet colonel of ROTC, a member of Phi Beta Kappa, Mountain and Beta Theta Pi. Following graduation, he was a Fulbright Scholar in International Law at the University of Manchester in England. He was then a Counter Intelligence Corp officer in Germany and continued thereafter on intelligence reserve duty.
Mr. Barnette completed a law degree from Yale Law School and a business degree from Harvard Business School. He also has received honorary degrees from WVU, Lehigh University, Moravian College, DeSales University and the University of Charleston.
After serving Bethlehem Steel Corporation for 33 years as a lawyer, general counsel, chairman and CEO, he retired as chairman emeritus. His effective leadership for business and the steel industry earned him appointments to presidential advisory committees and service under Presidents Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Clinton and George W. Bush. He also spent many years working in corporate law, corporate governance, international trade and public policy with the international law firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom, LLP.
Though he has spent his post graduate life primarily in Pennsylvania, Mr. Barnette has remained loyal to his alma mater and the state of West Virginia since his time as a student. As an alumnus, he has served on numerous governing and advisory boards, including chairman of WVU Board of Governors, now chairman emeritus, and chairman of the WVU Foundation Board of Directors, now director emeritus.
For his outstanding commitment to the University, Mr. Barnette has been inducted into the WVU Academy of Distinguished Alumni and West Virginia Business Hall of Fame, and elected to the Order of Vandalia. He was named Most Loyal Alumni Mountaineer, and in 2013, was awarded the Student Affairs Outstanding Achievement Award.
Mr. Barnette is a member of the national committee and a member of the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences committee for the current ‘State of Minds’ comprehensive fundraising campaign for WVU, and is chair of the WVU National Advisory Council for Health Sciences.
Joanne Harner Barnette earned her undergraduate degree from WVU, and while there, was a member of and president of Panhellenic Council and member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. She also holds a master’s degree in education from Lehigh University. She has served on the boards of the Lehigh University College of Education Advisory Board and the American Association of University Women.
Mrs. Barnette has been active in her community, serving in leadership roles as chair of the Allentown Art Museum of the Lehigh Valley, president of the Junior League of the Lehigh Valley, and the Lehigh Valley Community Foundation. She was instrumental in the founding of Partnership for a Drug Free Valley and Leadership Lehigh Valley, and is the recipient of numerous community and civic awards.
The Barnettes have established three scholarships at WVU; scholarships at Manchester University for WVU students; and student scholarships at six other universities based upon merit and need with preference given to West Virginians. They also created a professorship in political science at WVU, established a board of governors’ room at Erickson Alumni Center, and have other projects pending. They are members of the Foundation’s Woodburn Circle and Irvin Stewart Societies, as well as the Alumni Association’s Old Gold Club.
The Barnettes live in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
The Daywood Foundation, based in Charleston, West Virginia, was established in 1958 by Ruth Woods Dayton following the death of her husband, Arthur Spencer Dayton. At her request, the Foundation provides support for organizations serving Kanawha, Greenbrier and Barbour Counties in West Virginia, the counties where the Woods and Dayton families lived, and organizations serving the West Virginia as a whole.
Mr. Dayton (1887-1948) received both an undergraduate degree and a law degree from WVU in the early 1900s. After receiving a master’s degree from Yale University, Mr. Dayton returned to Philippi to practice law until 1923. He then moved to Charleston to become a member of the law firm of Blue, Dayton and Campbell. In 1945, the firm was reorganized as Dayton, Campbell and Love. At the time of his death in 1948, Dayton was still in practice with Harry V. Love and Charles M. Love, Jr. Mr. Dayton was an avid collector of books and, following his death, his rare book collection was donated to the WVU Library and his personal law library was donated to the WVU College of Law.
Ruth Woods Dayton (1894-1978) wrote books and several articles on West Virginia pioneers and their homes. She was active in community affairs in her hometown, Lewisburg, West Virginia, where she established a non-profit art gallery that operated for many years. In 1967 her search for a permanent home for the collection coincided with an expansion project initiated by the Huntington Museum of Art and, as a result, she donated the collection to that Museum.
The majority of the Daywood Foundation’s contributions to WVU have been given in support of WVU Hospitals. In 2003, the Daywood Foundation honored Arthur Dayton with the creation of the Arthur S. Dayton Professorship of Law. In 2009, the Daywood Foundation made a major gift toward construction of the new WVU Art Museum in recognition of Ruth Woods Dayton’s interest in art.
In addition to WVU, the Daywood Foundation donates to a wide variety of organizations within the state of West Virginia, including gifts for scholarships and capital campaigns to West Virginia Wesleyan College, Davis & Elkins College and the University of Charleston.
The Daywood Foundation’s legacy of giving has benefited not only WVU, but a multitude of other statewide organizations as well.
Mylan and Mylan Charitable Foundation
Mylan is being honored for its charitable giving to WVU and commitment to enhance the areas and people it serves.
Mylan is a global pharmaceutical company committed to setting new standards in health care. Working together around the world to provide 7 billion people access to high quality medicine, Mylan innovates to satisfy unmet needs; make reliability and service excellence a habit; do what’s right, not what’s easy; and impact the future through passionate global leadership. Mylan offers a growing portfolio of more than 1,300 generic pharmaceuticals and several brand medications. In addition, it offer a wide range of antiretroviral therapies, upon which approximately 40 percent of HIV/AIDS patients in developing countries depend. Mylan also operates one of the largest active pharmaceutical ingredient manufacturers and currently market products in approximately 140 countries and territories. Its workforce of more than 20,000 people is dedicated to improving the customer experience and increasing pharmaceutical access to consumers around the world.
Mylan’s history of growth spans more than 50 years. The company was founded as a pharmaceuticals distributor in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, in 1961 by Milan Puskar and Don Panoz. In 1965, the company established operations in Morgantown, W.Va., where it has grown to employ close to 3,000 people today as Monongalia County’s third largest employer. Mylan’s presence in Morgantown includes one of the world’s largest oral solid dose pharmaceutical manufacturing facilities as well as a Global Center of Excellence for Research and Development.
Mylan’s corporate giving in Morgantown spans across a variety of important causes, including the United Way of Monongalia and Preston Counties, the local American Red Cross chapter, the Bartlett House, Big Brothers Big Sisters of North Central West Virginia and BOPARC programming, to name a few.
In addition to its corporate giving, Mylan provides funding to the Mylan Charitable Foundation, which has supported local programs and community facilities in Morgantown and elsewhere, such as Mylan Park, through charitable grants. The Mylan Foundation is an independent, 501©(3) organization whose mission is to support efforts to enhance the quality of life and meet unmet needs in and around the communities where Mylan operates – primarily working with child-related issues in the areas of education, social services and health – by encouraging self-sustaining and ongoing positive change.
CONTACT: Bill Nevin, WVU Foundation
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.