Two members of the mining engineering faculty from West Virginia University were recently honored at the 2014 annual meeting of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, which was recently held in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Keith Heasley, Charles T. Holland Professor of Mining Engineering, received the 2013 SME Coal and Energy Division Distinguished Service Award. The award is presented to an individual for achievements in the coal mining industry. Heasley has been widely recognized for his work in numerical modeling, the basis of which are used in the LaModel Program, a software program that is used throughout the mining community

“I am honored and humbled to have received this award from my peers in the Coal and Energy Division,” said Heasley. “I have enjoyed serving the mining industry in the past and I hope to continue to serve in the future.”

Vladislav Kecojevic, Massey Foundation Professor of Mining Engineering, received the 2013 SME Coal and Energy Division Chair Award. The award is presented to the individual who served as chairman of the division in the previous year.

“It was a privilege to serve as chair of the division in 2013,” Kecojevic said. “I worked with many incredible professionals from industry, academia and governmental agencies. It was a wonderful personal and professional experience.”

mcd/03/05/14

CONTACT: Mary C. Dillon, Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources
304.293.4086, Mary.Dillon@mail.wvu.edu