A female was attacked near West Virginia University’s College of Business and Economics building early Friday morning and University Police is seeking the public’s assistance in gathering information.
The battery occurred at about 12:40 a.m. Friday (Jan. 31) at the bottom of the stairs behind B&E. The suspect is described as a white male, approximately 6-feet-tall, weighing about 150 pounds and with a pale complexion. He was wearing a black beanie, a black pea coat and light blue jeans.
UPD has identified a person of interest in this case, but if the public has any further information on this incident, they are asked to contact University Police at 304.293.3136.
Additionally, UPD issued the following reminders about safety precautions when going out:
• Do not go out alone.
• When walking at night, walk with a friend or talk on your phone until you get to a safe location.
• Stay in lit areas.
• Do not set down your personal belongings, especially high value items like cell phones. They are prone to being stolen and, additionally, could be your only way of communication if an emergency.
• Do not set down drinks at bars or clubs.
• If you see anything suspicious report it to the police by calling 911 or if on campus, 304.293.COPS.
• Take a self-defense class such as PROTECT, offered by University Police. There are also other free programs available campus.
• Know where the blue light phones are around campus. Using these phones gives you a direct link to 911. The phones should only be used in an emergency; to report non-emergencies, call 304.293.3136.
CONTACT: University Relations/News
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.