The West Virginia University Division of Student Affairs is proud to announce Courtney Martin and Jonathan Moore as the 2013 recipients of the Herman L. Moses Scholarship.

Each year, the scholarship benefits one male and one female undergraduate or graduate student employed as student workers in Student Affairs.

Martin, a senior biochemistry major from Monaca, Pa, is employed as a night operations supervisor at the Mountainlair.

“I have come to appreciate the WVU community through my opportunity to work in Student Affairs,” Martin said. “Being from a small town, I never thought I could make a difference in such a large community. I am so humbled to receive this award.”

Moore, a junior civil engineering major from Wyoming, Del., is a second-year resident assistant at Pierpont Hall.

“My parents have always supported me in my academic endeavors,” Moore said. “They have always pushed my sister and me to better ourselves.”

Herman Moses, a long-time Student Affairs administrator, knows first-hand what a difference working in Student Affairs makes in the lives of students. He devoted 36 years of his professional life to working with WVU students and their families before retiring in 2003. Both his bachelor’s degree and master’s degree were earned at WVU.

“No matter what these students do for their jobs or why they are doing it, they make a positive impact on the Division of Student Affairs and the student-body as a whole,” Moses said. “When these students gain experiences from working in Student Affairs that prepare them to succeed in life, it is invaluable, and it makes this opportunity special.”

There were approximately 50 students nominated by Student Affairs staff this year.

“This was a very difficult decision to make,” said Lisa Haselman, scholarship selection committee member and associate director of the Mountaineer Parents Club. “All of the applicants do amazing work, and this is a nice reminder of the WVU students who go above and beyond in their duties.”

The Herman Moses Endowed Scholarship was established in honor of Dean Moses in 2012 by the family of the late Dr. Carl R. Adkins. Dr. Adkins’ wife Susan Hanlin Adkins (class of 1970) and son Jonathan Adkins established the scholarship in celebration of the long friendship that Dean Moses and Dr. Adkins enjoyed.

Dr. Adkins received his undergraduate (class of 1965) and medical degrees (class of 1972) from WVU. The gift is part of WVU’s university-wide comprehensive campaign, A State of Minds: The Campaign for West Virginia’s University. This $750 million capital campaign continues through December 2015 and is being conducted on behalf of the university by the WVU.

For more information on investing in the Division of Student Affairs as a part of the comprehensive campaign for WVU, please visit http://sadevelopment.wvu.edu/ or contact Grants & Development Administrator Erica Bentley at 304-293-8944 or Erica.Bentley@mail.wvu.edu.

ta/11/25/13

CONTACT: Erica Bentley, Student Affairs
304.293.8944, Erica.Bentley@mail.wvu.edu