A West Virginia University graduate student has received national recognition for her work in the field of mine land reclamation.

Jessica Odenheimer, a master’s candidate in agronomy in WVU’s Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design, won a $2,000 scholarship from the National Association of Abandoned Mine Land Programs.

“Land reclamation is my passion,” Odenheimer said. “Reclamation will always be needed, whether it’s for land that was mined for coal, land that was fractured for natural gas, superfund sites, or even streams and rivers that have been affected by industry or our growing population.”

Odenheimer took land reclamation courses while pursuing a bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences at Virginia Tech. In 2010, she met WVU’s Jeff Skousen at a meeting of the American Society of Mining Reclamation.

“I knew he would be a fantastic mentor in the realm of mining reclamation,” Odenheimer said.

Skousen serves a dual role at WVU, both as professor of soil science in the Davis College and as land reclamation specialist for WVU Extension. He has an international reputation as an expert in disturbed mine lands and reclamation systems.

In her work with Skousen, Odenheimer’s research is focused on developing a quick laboratory technique to determine a total dissolved solids release index from weathering overburden material.

“We hope to develop a technique to analyze overburden so that coal operators can make decisions to treat, handle and isolate their overburden material in a manner that will minimize water quality issues, specific to total dissolved solids concentrations,” Odenheimer said. “I am excited about this project and the potential it has to be implemented for coal operations around the country.”

The project allows her to collaborate with past mentors at Virginia Tech. And, while at WVU, she herself has become a mentor to budding scientists. Odenheimer has served as an EnvironMentor, guiding a high school student through an independent research project.

Her mentee, Emma Mathers, a second-year EnvironMentors participant and junior at Morgantown High School, placed second in this year’s national fair and was awarded an Excellence in Environmental Research Scholarship.

Satisfying as the mentoring experience was, Odenheimer is committed to a career in reclamation.

“I want a career that excites me, can challenge me, and provide me with opportunities to continue learning and growing as a scientist,” Odenheimer said. “I know a career in mining reclamation will provide me with everything I need.”

dw/10/18/13

CONTACT: David Welsh, Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Design
304-293-2394, david.welsh@mail.wvu.edu