Asked to comment on the Attorney General’s report and recommendations today (April 15) related to the multimedia rights matter, here’s what the following individuals said:

Director of Athletics Oliver Luck acknowledged his communication with WVU Board of Governors Chair Drew Payne was “inappropriate” and should not have occurred. “I concur with the Attorney General’s findings that these communications were improper, but agree they did not impact the evaluation or selection process. The department looks forward to the re-bid.”

Drew Payne, chair of WVU’s Board of Governors, said he accepts the AG’s report and appreciates the thorough work his office has done. “I’m committed to fine-tuning our Board processes so we can do a better job of identifying possible conflicts or problems going forward, and I also applaud the University for taking corrective steps in the procurement process.”

He also reiterated the conclusion of the AG that “there was no evidence of improper use or benefit of the information or of improper disclosure of information to the benefit of a proposer.”

BOG member David Alvarez also said he accepts the AG’s report and understands his obligations to recuse himself from Board meetings or presentations where the current MSN contract or future outsourcing of the multimedia rights contract are being discussed. “I am fully aware of my responsibilities to recuse myself in the future,” Alvarez said.

bl/04/15/13

CONTACT: University Relations/News
304.293.6997