When people hear of culinary challenges, it’s likely Iron Chefs and celebrity judges come to mind. Perhaps it is time to think of West Virginia University Dining Services’ Boreman Bistro, as well.

Chef Andrew Brady, lead worker at Boreman Bistro, represented WVU at the National Association of College and University Food Services Regional Culinary Challenge hosted at Millersville University in Lancaster, Pa., on March 17.

Brady won the people’s choice award for his apple cider duck roulade with herb couscous and ginger ale glazed carrots and parsnips.

The people’s choice award was given by the audience comprised of regional school dining employees and national food vendors to honor the most creative and exciting dish in the competition.

“I was really excited. I was thrilled,” Brady said. “I didn’t expect to win. There were a lot of nice dishes out there. When I first got back, everybody from the other dining halls called to congratulate me, and I’ve gotten a lot of emails and Facebook messages. But, it was really a team effort.”

NACUFS is a trade organization for collegiate dining organizations across the country, and the NACUFS Culinary Challenge is similar to familiar T.V. programs like Iron Chef or Hell’s Kitchen, but with a twist: chefs must compete using the same nutrition and menu guidelines used at their schools. Think Iron Chef: Dining Halls – and WVU Dining Services brought home a top honor.

Duck was the special ingredient for the challenge, something Brady had never prepared before. He described duck as a challenging ingredient because of its high fat content, high protein value and unique flavors. After consulting with Dining Service’s in-house nutritionist, Brady spent weeks crafting, practicing and perfecting the dish for the challenge.

Arriving at the competition, Brady had 30 minutes to prepare and 60 minutes to cook the dish in front of judges and an audience.

“They had a camera and a person walking around with a microphone. I didn’t mean to focus on the person with the microphone, but he pronounced my dish wrong, and I had to correct him. It was distracting,” Brady said.

“People gathered around as I trussed the roulade,” Brady said. “I don’t think they’d seen anyone truss a roulade before. I became a little nervous when my sister told me they had it on the big screen behind us.”

Will Boreman Bistro be serving duck roulade to students any time soon?

“Students here at Boreman tend to favor vegetarian options,” Brady said. “Special dinner- wise, we might see a pork roulade before too long here, but who knows?

“Oh, and what they don’t show you after Top Chef? The chefs downstairs wash their own dishes.”

tbj/04/01/13

CONTACT: Bryan Jarrell, Dining Services
304-293-4106, Bryan.Jarrell@mail.wvu.edu

Follow @WVUToday on Twitter