West Virginia University fans will travel south to make Miami their second home for a few days to cheer the Mountaineers to victory at the 2012 Discover Orange Bowl. In addition to the many city sights, they can also take advantage of Orange Bowl and fan-related activities.
“There are a number of activities available for alumni and fans to be a part of during their visit to Miami,” said Stephen L. Douglas, president and CEO, WVU Alumni Association. “We have a number of WVU events planned, and the Discover Orange Bowl officials have lined up many activities for visitors, including live music and a large pep rally. The city of Miami also offers some fabulous restaurants, nightly entertainment and beautiful sights. There will be plenty of things for visitors to do during their stay.”
Schedule of Events/Activities
- AvMed Orange Bowl Coaches Luncheon, Jungle Island, 11 a.m., Dana Holgorsen and Dabo Swinney will highlight the AvMed Orange Bowl Coaches Luncheon presented by Deloitte. Interviews are conducted with the coaches and star players, while the annual Hall of Fame class is honored, as well as the Orange Bowl Committee Edwin Pope Vanguard Media Award Winner. Cost is $125. Visit www.orangebowl.com for more information.
- Mountaineer Meet & Greet, The Clevelander (1020 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach, FL), 3 p.m. -7 p.m. The Clevelander patio will become Morgantown South the day before the big game. Enjoy a performance by The Pride of West Virginia Pep Band, appearances by the Mountaineer and WVU cheerleaders, food/beverage specials and limited giveaways. This gathering is free and open to the public.
- Grid Iron Bash, 7th-9th Streets on Ocean Dr., 7 p.m. The Gridiron Bash at Orange Drive is a fan-driven entertainment event that provides an opportunity for fans to rally behind their school and team in anticipation of the Discover Orange Bowl Game. Highlight videos of seasons past are shown on the JumboTron while cheerleaders perform and the crowd cheers. Those in attendance will enjoy performances by the Pride of West Virginia and Tiger Band. The evening is capped off with a concert by country music star Travis Tritt. Cost is $45 and tickets can be purchased by visiting www.orangedr.com or at the gate.
- Chalk Talk, InterContinental Miami (100 Chopin Plaza), 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m., a reception featuring guest speaker WVU alumnus and former Clemson head coach Tommy Bowden. Mountaineer camaraderie, food, cash bar and an exclusive giveaway item provided. Cost is $65. Tickets to this unique event are limited. Priority tickets will be available for purchase for WVU Alumni Association Life, Old Gold and Marmaduke Dent Society members, WVU Foundation Partners, MAC Directors level contributors and above beginning Dec. 16. Qualifying individuals will receive an electronic invitation to register. If tickets remain for this event, they will go on sale to the public beginning Dec. 20. A limit of six tickets can be purchased per transaction. Alumni and fans interested in attending must register at www.wvugame.com. This event is included for two- and three-night WVU Sports Travel guests in their travel package price. Portions of Chalk Talk have been underwritten by Chesapeake Energy, Mountaineer Athletic Club, United Bank, Wells Fargo, WVU Alumni Association, and WVU Foundation.
- Bud Light Orange Bowl Fan Zone, Sun Life Stadium, Miami Gardens, 1:30-7:30 p.m., a ticketed interactive event, for college football fans to kick-off game day, featuring some of Miami’s hottest local talent, interactive games, sports memorabilia, stage contests, food & beverage concessions, performances by WVU and Clemson marching bands/cheerleaders and the Orange Bowl’s headlining artist, Jake Owen. Cost is $20 ($15 with the official Orange Bowl Patch). This event is included for all WVU Sports Travel guests in their travel package price.
- 2012 Discover Orange Bowl – WVU vs. Clemson, Sun Life Stadium, 8 p.m.
- WVU events/activities visit http://bowlgame.wvu.edu/schedule-of-activities
- Fans can purchase the official Orange Bowl Patch for $10 at various locations in South Florida. The Patch also provides a $5 discount on entrance to the game-day Bud Light Orange Bowl Fan Zone on Jan. 4. For more information, visit www.orangebowl.com.
- WVU bowl travel opportunities, including information about a game day charter, visit www.WVUSportsTravel.com or call 1-888-373-5067.
- The WVU Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is partnering with the Veteran Tickets Foundation to distribute unused tickets from WVU’s Orange Bowl allotment to active duty soldiers and veterans in the Miami area. Visit www.wvugame.com to purchase a $99 ticket supporting the program.
The Mountaineers face off against the Clemson Tigers in the Orange Bowl on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012. The game will be televised on ESPN at 8 p.m.
For more information, contact the WVU Alumni Association at 1-866-WVU-ALUM (866-988-2586) or visit http://alumni.wvu.edu.
CONTACT: Tara Curtis, WVU Alumni Association
304.293.0972/304.698.2472 (cell); email@example.com
Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.