Fellow West Virginians watched him on their television screens, now they can see him center stage at the West Virginia University Creative Arts Center.

“America’s Got Talent” winner Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. will perform two shows in December. Showtime is set for 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 7 and 8. Ticket prices range from $28 to $38, depending on location. WVU students receive a $10 discount with a valid WVU ID (One discount ticket per ID).

A Logan, W.Va. native, Murphy Jr. recently won the sixth season of NBC’s talent competition “America’s Got Talent.” The crooner, who sang Rat Pack favorites from Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra, won a $1 million prize and the chance to perform in Las Vegas in his own show – “America’s Got Talent Live” – which opened Oct. 28 at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace.

Murphy Jr. captured the hearts of West Virginians and Americans alike, rising to stardom from a hardscrabble life. The father of four, who entered talent competitions and sang for various charities in West Virginia, was also involved in a blues-soul band called Top Shelf. After the band broke up, Murphy Jr. began a journey with “America’s Got Talent” that would change his life forever.

From his first performance, viewers knew Murphy Jr. was something special. His renditions of Sinatra classics like “Under My Skin” brought the judges and audience to their feet. The finale, which saw Murphy Jr. walk away a star, was seen by 14 million people.

Murphy Jr. has loved Sinatra since “Love and Marriage” was the theme song to the sitcom “Married ? With Children.” Once he was old enough to get into karaoke bars, says Murphy Jr., “my friends would make me bets I couldn’t sing Frank Sinatra in an all-black place and get a standing ovation.” He did.

Though he has made his name as a crooner, Murphy Jr. has a variety of styles. “I do everything from R&B to Southern rock,” he explains.

The singer said he will eventually showcase those talents. “It’s in me (and) you gotta stay true to yourself,” he said. “But right now I gotta stay true to my fans.”

Murphy Jr. recently performed the national anthem at the WVU-Louisiana State University football game before a crowd of more than 60,000 people at Milan Puskar Stadium. A YouTube video of the performance has reached 48,000 views.

The singer will also be releasing a debut album, “That’s Life,” Nov. 21. For his album, Landau collaborated with legendary jazz, soul and pop producer Steve Tyrell on a songbook of Sinatra’s hits from the ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s. The album features favorites “My Way,” “Fly Me To The Moon” and “Under My Skin.” The album is currently available for pre-order.

Tickets may be purchased at the Mountainlair and CAC box offices and online at ticketmaster.com Tickets are available by phone at 800-745-3000 and 304-293-SHOW and at all Ticketmaster outlets.

This event is produced by WVU Arts & Entertainment. For additional event information, call 304-293-SHOW or visit us online at events.wvu.edu. Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/wvuevents and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/wvuevents for the most up-to-date news.

kg/11/15/11

CONTACT: Kristie Gale; WVU Arts & Entertainement
304.293.8221; Kristie.Stewart-Gale@mail.wvu.edu