A West Virginia University computer engineering and computer science dual major was recently awarded a scholarship from the computer science honorary Upsilon Pi Epsilon.

Jacob Steele, of Philippi, W.Va., was awarded a UPE Special Recognition Scholarship Award, which comes with a $1,250 cash award. According to the organization, Steele was selected based of his academic record, extra-curricular activities and the recommendation of his UPE advisor, Cindy Tanner.

“By winning this award, I realized I can compete with students from some of the leading computer science universities in the country,” said Steele. “When I first received the award letter I was just content to have more money to fund my education. It wasn’t until later, when faculty started really talking to me about it, that I realized the significance of the award. I expect to save the money to help with graduate school.”

Steele, who plans to pursue a doctoral degree, was one of only 25 winners internationally.

“Jacob has a 4.0 g.p.a. and participated in WVU’s Summer Undergraduate Research Experience,” said Cindy Tanner, UPE advisor. “It is always a tough decision deciding which of our many deserving students will be nominated for this scholarship.”

UPE was founded for students, faculty and computing professionals who exhibit superior scholastic and professional achievement in the computing and information disciplines.

—WVU—

mcd/09/07/11

Check http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/ daily for the latest news from the University. Follow @WVUToday on Twitter.

CONTACT: Mary C. Dillon
304-293-4086
mary.dillon@mail.wvu.edu