Shakespeare in the Park is one of New York City’s most beloved summer traditions, presenting eight weeks of free Shakespeare in Central Park for thousands of people during the months of June and July.

This year, West Virginia University College of Creative Arts student Logan Garrett is spending the summer as a production intern with The New York Public Theater, which produces Shakespeare in the Park.

He was one of only nine students, from more than 400 applicants, who were selected for the competitive internships.

Garrett will be a senior in the Division of Theatre and Dance this fall, where he is studying for a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre Design and Technology. He is a native of Bel Air, Md.

“I really enjoy the technical aspects of theater, such as electrics and sound, but I also really enjoy stage management as well,” the 20-year-old said.

“WVU really prepared me well for this internship. Not only have my professors provided me with knowledge and theory about theatrical production, but my experience at the Creative Arts Center also gave me the necessary hands-on, practical and professional training that I needed,” Garrett said.

“I also learned to network at WVU and this has helped me to connect with industry professionals and it helped me to find housing for the summer. I am staying with a WVU alumnus.”

The Shakespeare plays being performed in the park this summer include “Measure for Measure,” directed by David Esbjornson and “All’s Well That Ends Well,” directed by Daniel Sullivan.

“Our responsibilities as interns include many of the usual tasks, such as making Gatorade and water every morning for the crew and running errands around New York City,” Garrett said.

“But we also get a lot of professional experience and training from the technical staff of the New York Public Theater—in carpentry, electrics, props and even management.

“We also set up parties for celebrities, such as Al Pacino, Meryl Streep and Alan Alda.”

The interns work at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park, which is the permanent summer home of Shakespeare in the Park, and also at the Public Theater’s headquarters on Lafayette Street downtown.

After the season ends, they will attend seminars to learn even more about their craft from professionals in the field.

Garrett will graduate next May and then plans work in professional theater, either in New York or with a touring company.

For more information see www.publictheater.org/ or www.shakespeareinthepark.org/.

CONTACT: Charlene Lattea, College of Creative Arts
304-293-4359, Charlene.Lattea@mail.wvu.edu