West Virginia University wants to show outstanding faculty, staff and students how important they are to the Mountaineer mission.
The University is recognizing students, faculty and staff for their accomplishments during Week of Honors, held Friday (April 8) to Sunday (April 17).
“Week of Honors is a special time at the University,” said Gretchen Hoover, senior special events coordinator at University Events. “It brings the WVU community together to recognize outstanding faculty, staff and students for their achievements, and to show them how much we appreciate them and what they do for this University.”
Individual award ceremonies, open houses at the University’s various schools and colleges and a Ring Day ceremony are among the events being held during Week of Honors.
Students selected to be part of one of the University’s sophomore, junior or senior honoraries will be inducted at a reception on Monday, April 11 at 6 p.m. at Touchdown Terrace. The event is for inductees only.
Of those being welcomed into honoraries, 38 are joining Helvetia (sophomores); 40, Chimes (juniors); and 33, Mortar Board (seniors).
The Faculty and Staff Excellence Celebration dinner, recognizing some of the University’s most dedicated and accomplished faculty and staff, will be held on Wednesday, April 13 at 6 p.m. in the Mountainlair Ballrooms. The event is for award winners and invited guests.
Awards being presented include Nicholas Evans Advising Awards, Foundation Outstanding Teacher awards, Benedum Distinguished Scholar, Heebink Award for Distinguished State Service, CASE Professor of the Year, Caperton Award for Excellence in Teaching Writing, the Mary Catherine Buswell Award for Outstanding Service to Women and the Harley Kilgore Award for Promoting Public Understanding of Science and Research. Full press releases about many of the award winners and details about the awards are available online at http://wvutoday.wvu.edu .
Other Week of Honors activities include:
• Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources & Design Honors Convocation, April 8, 2 p.m., Erickson Alumni Center
• School of Journalism Honors Ceremony, April 8, 2 p.m., Martin Hall room 205
• School of Pharmacy Honors Convocation, April 8, 4:30 p.m., Health Sciences Center Okey Patteson Auditorium
• School of Pharmacy Bowl of Hygeia Ceremony, April 8, 6 p.m., Health Sciences Center Okey Patteson Auditorium
• Women’s Studies Honors Ceremony, April 9, 3 p.m., Erickson Alumni Center
• College of Law Honors Ceremony, April 10, 3 p.m., Erickson Alumni Center
• College of Creative Arts Ceremony, April 14, 3:30 p.m., Museum Education Center
• College of Engineering and Mineral Resources Honors Ceremony, April 15, 1 p.m., Erickson Alumni Center
• College of Physical Activity and Sports Sciences Dean’s List Reception, April 15, 3 p.m., Touchdown Terrace
• School of Nursing Scholarship Celebration and Lorita D. Jenab Lectureship, April 15, 7 p.m., Health Sciences Center Okey Patteson Auditorium
• Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Recognition Ceremony and lunch, April 16, 10:30 a.m., Mountainlair Ballrooms
• School of Medicine Clinical Pathways Ceremony, April 17, 2 p.m., Health Sciences Center Okey Patteson Auditorium
For more information and updates on events happening during Week of Honors, visit http://weekofhonors.wvu.edu/ .