West Virginia University junior Namratha Gudemaranahalli is intrigued by the complex and integrated workings of the human brain.

“I am fascinated by it,” said Gudemaranahalli, a biology and psychology major from Powell, Ohio and a WVU McNair Scholar.

"I am so thrilled. I have always wanted to go into research and now I have a great path to get there. My family and the mentors I have worked with through the McNair Scholars Program have been instrumental in my success. I could not have done it without them."

--Namratha Gudemaranahalli

Devoted to her research, Gudemaranahalli – originally from India – is one of nine students chosen nationwide for the National Health Institutes Undergraduate Scholarship Program.

“When Namratha asked me to write a letter of recommendation for her, I knew based on her past academic performance and the type of person she is that she will continue to do well in school and be able to fulfill the requirements set up by the institute,” said Betty Mei, assistant director of the WVU McNair Scholars Program.

“I am extremely happy for her because she deserves the acknowledgement. Needless to say, the WVU McNair Scholars Program is excited about her being selected as a NIH UGSP scholar. The WVU community should also be proud,” she added.

The scholarship program is designed for students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are committed to careers in biomedical, behavioral and social science health-related research.

Through the program, Gudemaranahalli will receive up to $20,000 to cover tuition, fees, living and other educational expenses for each academic year. The program is for one year, but Gudemaranahalli will have the option to renew the award for her senior year.

She will be required to complete two service requirements. She will have to complete at 10-week Summer Laboratory Experience, where she will work as a paid researcher at a National Institutes of Health research laboratory.

“I am so thrilled. I have always wanted to go into research and now I have a great path to get there,” she said. “My family and the mentors I have worked with through the McNair Scholars Program have been instrumental in my success. I could not have done it without them.”

Following graduation, she will be required to work for the National Institutes of Health as a paid full-time employee for at least one year for each year of scholarship awarded.

Ultimately, Gudemaranahalli aims to earn her doctorate and become a neuroscience researcher.

For more information on the scholarship, visit https://ugsp.nih.gov/home.asp?m=00 .

For more information on WVU’s McNair Scholars Program, visit http://mcnair.wvu.edu/ .

cd/08/02/10

CONTACT: News and Information
304-293-6997

Follow @wvutoday on Twitter.