Oliver Luck was named Thursday (June 10) as the next director of intercollegiate athletics at West Virginia University. Here is what some in the WVU community had to say:

“I am excited about having Oliver Luck back in West Virginia – this was a great choice for WVU. Eddie Pastilong put a great foundation together and I know that Oliver will do an amazing job. He has shown a true love and dedication to WVU as an outstanding scholar, student-athlete and as a member of the school’s Board of Governors. Oliver brings a solid combination of knowledge, business sense and competitiveness to the job that will build on the successes the school has already experienced.”
—Gov. Joe Manchin, WVU alumnus and former Mountaineer football player.

“WVU is extremely fortunate that Oliver will be leading the athletic department at this juncture. I can’t think of a better choice. He has been a valuable member of the Board of Governors, and we will miss his contributions there, but his background, abilities and expertise are a perfect fit for the job. Also, it says a lot about Oliver’s love for WVU—and his family’s support of him—that he is willing to pull up stakes in Houston at this important time in the life of his family.”
—Chair of the Board of Governors Carolyn Long

“WVU’s appointment of Oliver Luck sets the highest possible standard for an athletic director. Luck’s intelligence, integrity and deep understanding of the role of athletics within an academic institution will set the pace for the nation.”
—Board of Governors Member Charles M. Vest

“Oliver Luck has been a dedicated WVU alumnus, consistently acknowledging the foundation he received as an undergraduate student-athlete at WVU and eagerly, continually acting as an advocate in support of our alma mater. The Alumni Association is thrilled to welcome Oliver and his family back to the WVU campus. We are truly excited about the opportunity to assist Oliver in his new position and we are grateful for his ongoing support of our WVU Alumni Association. We have every confidence that he will continue to build on the momentum of our existing outstanding athletic programs. Oliver is the perfect person to lead our athletic programming into the future. On a personal note, as a Houston, Texas resident, I could not possibly be happier that Oliver and his wonderful family are looking forward to making WVU their home. I wish him and his family every possible blessing. Oliver has the total support of the Texas Mountaineers. We love Oliver Luck and are excited to support his continued success!”
—Alumni Association Chair, and selection committee member, Nancy DiPaolo

“Oliver Luck is a special Mountaineer whose experience and leadership skills will provide able leadership for our athletic program. President Clements is to be commended for attracting such a strong leader to his team.”
—Former President David C. Hardesty

“I am pleased that Oliver Luck will be taking over as our next athletic director. He is very capable and an all-around good guy. I can’t help but reflect back to the ‘70s when I was recruiting coordinator here at WVU and helped Gary Stevens recruit Oliver to Morgantown from St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland. And later that year, I gave Oliver his first job at WVU – working and watching out for Hawley Field and you know what, it’s still there. I look forward to working with him over the next two years and continuing the momentum that we have going. He will be a good fit for our staff.”
—Director of Athletics Ed Pastilong

“On behalf of the BIG EAST Conference and our 16 member institutions, it is my esteemed pleasure to formally welcome Oliver Luck, his wife, Kathy, and their four children to our family. Oliver’s background as a Mountaineer alum and the breadth of his experience no doubt make him an ideal candidate to lead the West Virginia athletic program into the future and strategically contribute to the future of the BIG EAST Conference.”
—BIG EAST Commissioner John Marinatto

“WVU just hired a great athletic director. Oliver was my first quarterback. He is extremely intelligent, a great guy and is a great family man. I can’t imagine him not doing a great job for the University. He gave up a great job to come back to Morgantown, and I know he is looking forward to coming back.”
—Former Football Coach Don Nehlen

“I would like to offer my sincere congratulations to Oliver Luck as the newly appointed WVU athletic director. It is great to have someone that has been such an integral part of the WVU athletic and academic family. Oliver’s background as a collegiate athlete, a professional athlete and an athletic executive brings years of experience and understanding to the position. Oliver Luck is a fitting replacement for Ed Pastilong, who has done an exceptional job at WVU for a number of years and who will be missed.”
—Former WVU All-American Jerry West

“Oliver Luck was a great Mountaineer leader as our quarterback, and now will be a great Mountaineer leader as our athletic director. He brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to the job, and this is a great day for West Virginia University.”
—Football Coach Bill Stewart

“Oliver Luck is the perfect guy to build on the unparalleled success of Ed Pastilong from the last 22 years. Oliver brings a wealth of business experience in running professional organizations, which will enable us to continue to build our budget to make our athletic teams more competitive while continuing to keep our athletic department in the black. I have followed Oliver’s career from the time he played football and basketball at St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland. And like all Mountaineer fans, I cheered his accomplishments as our quarterback. Oliver epitomized the term student-athlete, with the emphasis on student. He will be a tremendous role model for the men and women who represent this great University. I look forward to working closely with Oliver as we continue to advance Mountaineer athletics.”
—Men’s Basketball Coach Bob Huggins

“It’s an exciting time in Mountaineer athletics. President Clements and the search committee did an excellent job in hiring Oliver Luck as our next athletic director. His personal and professional achievements speak volumes of his capabilities and he’s the perfect fit for the direction our department is headed. I’m looking forward to working with him.”
—Women’s Basketball Coach Mike Carey

“I am excited about the leadership that Oliver Luck brings to our university at a critical time in intercollegiate athletics. He was successful as a student-athlete and continued his demand for excellence as a professional in the sport industry. I am proud to have him return to the Mountaineer athletic family.”
—Women’s Soccer Coach Nikki Izzo-Brown

“Obviously, we are all very sad to see Director of Athletics Ed Pastilong go after all that he’s accomplished, but I think Oliver Luck will continue the tradition of success that Mr. Pastilong built. I like that Mr. Luck has been involved with multiple sports throughout the years, and I think he will bring a wide-based background that will serve the WVU Athletic Department well. His appreciation for women’s athletics will also foster Mountaineer success in the future.”
—Gymnastics Coach Linda Burdette-Good

“I am really pleased Oliver Luck will be the new athletic director at WVU. He has an understanding of the dynamic of WVU athletics. He brings in some major experiences in the NFL and with the MLS. Having an athletic director who understands your sport is great. I look forward to working with Oliver, who has that same understanding that Ed Pastilong did and appreciation for our sport. I think he’s a great addition to our athletic department, and we look forward to Oliver taking us to even greater heights.”
—Men’s Soccer Coach Marlon LeBlanc

“I am very excited Oliver Luck will be the next athletic director. I have known Oliver since he was a student-athlete at West Virginia University. I have always been very impressed with everything he’s done. I’m very confident that he’ll come in and make a strong contribution to our athletic department, the University and the state. He has a great understanding of the West Virginia culture and state, and I think he can make a seamless transition. I look forward to working him as our next athletic director.”
—Wrestling Coach Craig Turnbull

“We are excited about the hiring of an outstanding individual in Oliver Luck as our new athletic director. He has succeeded on so many different levels, and possesses all the tools to help our University maintain its competitiveness in athletics and academics. We would also like to thank Ed Pastilong for his outstanding 20 years of service, and remain thankful that he will continue to serve a vital role in our department.”
—Baseball Coach Greg Van Zant

“I think the hiring of Oliver Luck as the next director of athletics is a great choice for West Virginia University. He has vast experience in the sports world, which I think will bring a lot to the athletic department. It will be nice to have someone with his qualifications leading our school.”
—Volleyball Coach Veronica Hammersmith

“This is great news for the WVU Athletic Department. I don’t know Oliver Luck personally, but from everything I have read, he sounds like a good person. From a coach’s perspective, I think this is really exciting. It’s going to be exciting to have new ideas in the athletic department. Mr. Luck comes from a great background in Houston. This is just exciting news for all of the WVU teams.”
—Rifle Coach Jon Hammond

“I am very excited about Oliver Luck becoming our athletic director. I also want to thank Ed Pastilong for all he has done for West Virginia. Mr. Luck brings a wealth of knowledge to the University with his previous endeavors and will continue to build on the foundation of this athletic department. As a former Academic All-American at West Virginia, he will continue to demand a high academic standard for WVU athletics. I look forward to working with Mr. Luck to bring continued success and growth to the WVU swimming and diving programs.”
—Swimming and Diving Coach Vic Riggs

“I think that Oliver Luck has tremendous experience in all facets of professional sports and obviously a level of collegiate experience that will be great for WVU. Everything I have seen from him, he is meticulous in what he does, and he clearly has a love for this University. This is a very good step for us and a good way for this University to build upon the momentum that Ed Pastilong started.”
—Women’s Tennis Coach Marc Walters

“The hiring of an athletic director at West Virginia University is one of the most important hires for our institution. Director Pastilong has directed our department through the Atlantic 10 into the BIG EAST and will hand the reins over to Oliver Luck as a Top 25 program in the Directors’ Cup standings. This is a remarkable achievement for our University, something that Ed Pastilong should be very proud of. This is a perfect fit for WVU. The fact that we are in the midst of an era that will most decidedly change the landscape of modern collegiate athletics forever is clear. We are very fortunate to have a new leader that brings with him the necessary skills to guide us through the next chapter in WVU Athletics. Oliver Luck has a resume that clearly demonstrates that he is more than ready for this challenge. The fact that he is a Mountaineer from head to toe is simply a wonderful bonus.”
—Women’s Cross Country/Track Coach Sean Cleary

“Mr. Luck’s academic, athletic and business experiences coupled with his obvious familiarity and devotion to West Virginia University over the years will serve well in leading us into the next era of Mountaineer athletics. While there are many questions regarding what lies ahead, these are undoubtedly exciting times at WVU.”
—Rowing Coach Jimmy King

Send congratulatory notes for Oliver Luck to wvuwebmaster@mail.wvu.edu

06/10/10