She started as a West Virginia University basketball star, now she has taken to the sidelines to achieve a different dream.

Pittsburgh native Meg Bulger, a 2008 WVU graduate of multidisciplinary studies (three minors – communication studies, English and sports psychology), is a color analyst with Big East TV and ESPNU. She is covering women’s basketball now, but during the football season she does some sideline reporting for FOX Sports Pittsburgh.

When at WVU, Bulger made Mountaineer history. She finished her career as one of the best outside shooters the University has ever had, making 265 three-pointers during her career. She is West Virginia’s all-time career three-point field percentage leader at 43.7 percent and finished her career with 1,665 points, fifth all-time in school history.

But, after much thought, Bulger decided to not follow a career in basketball and instead tried her hand at broadcasting.

After graduation, she moved back to Pittsburgh and through contacts that she made while playing basketball landed a position at FOX in the fall of 2009. ESPNU contacted her in January of 2009, and on Sunday (Jan. 17), she’ll be doing color commentary for the ESPNU broadcast of the WVU vs. Pittsburgh women’s basketball game at 4 p.m.

It is not the same as playing, but she loves her job so much that it does not even feel like work.

“Sometimes I feel like I should go out and get a job, because I don’t feel like this is working. It is something I love to do. It is fun and I am very fortunate that I can work with such great company,” she said.

As a color analyst, Bulger describes the game and helps to teach those watching about the game. She points out plays and explains how and why the play developed.

Bulger spends her week reading up on the games she will be covering. She learns about the players and spends a lot of time on conference calls. Then she travels to the games. She averages about two games a week.

While she was nervous when first reporting on camera, Bulger said her basketball career helped to prepare her.

“I did a lot of public speaking and had to do a lot of interviews on TV when I played. I don’t get as nervous as I thought I would be and it makes it easier because I have been on both sides,” she said.

Bulger’s love of sports runs in the family.

The youngest of a family of five, Bulger grew up watching her siblings play sports.

“I always wanted to be doing what they were doing,” she said.

Her brother, Marc Bulger is the starting quarterback for the St. Louis Rams.

In the future, Bulger hopes to continue to move up in the ranks and cover more high profile games at prime times.

By Colleen DeHart
Communications Specialist
WVU News & Information Services

cd/01/15/09

CONTACT: Colleen DeHart, News and Information Services
304-293-5507, colleen.wright@mail.wvu.edu