Members of the West Virginia University community, public officials and others are applauding the appointment of James P. Clements as the schools 23rd president.

U.S. Sen. Robert C. Byrd, D-W.Va.

Today begins an important new chapter in West Virginia Universitys storied history. As West Virginians, we are all grateful to President Magrath for lending his steady hand in guiding our flagship University to safe harbor. I encourage all West Virginians to welcome James Clements into the Mountaineer fold with open arms, hearts and minds. Dr. Clements is an extraordinarily talented and accomplished leader, and I look forward to working together with him as he guides WVU into a new era of growth, prosperity and accomplishment.

U.S. Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va.

WVU has a strong tradition of leadership and academic excellence. Generations of West Virginia University graduates have received an incredible education and gone on to become leaders and innovatorsboth in our state and across the nation. The next president will play a formative role in steering WVU toward even greater success. I look forward to working with Dr. Clements and extend to him a hand of friendship and welcome to West Virginia.

I also want to extend my good wishes to West Virginia Universitys interim President, C. Peter Magrath. His work on behalf of the University has been outstanding, and his presence will be missed.

Dr. Clements comes to the position with a record of accomplishments. Since 2007, he has been provost of Towson University, the second largest public university in Maryland. During his time, he focused on developing scholarship and student support programs, producing an 83 percent freshman retention rate and increasing externally funded research by 36 percent. We look forward to his leadership as the new president of West Virginia University.

U.S. Rep. Alan Mollohan, D-W.Va.

“I’d like to offer my heartiest congratulations to Dr. Clements, who was chosen from a truly impressive pool of candidates. West Virginia University has chosen an outstanding educational leader, a man whose virtues have been been extolled by my colleagues in Congress. His strong record of academic leadership prepares him well to advance WVU ’s educational and research missions and to serve the needs of the University’s students, its faculty and the citizens of West Virginia. I will certainly do all I can in support of his efforts to make WVU ’s contributions to West Virginia’s educational and economic development goals even more valuable. I also commend Dr. Peter Magrath for his distinguished interim leadership and thank him for his service to our state.”

U.S. Rep. Shelley Moore Capito,R-W.Va.

“I congratulate Dr. Clements and wish him all the best as he joins the West Virginia family. Good leaders make great institutions, and that certainly seems to be the spirit he’ll be bringing to Morgantown.With his enthusiasm and experience, I look forward to working with him and seeing his record of accomplishment in action to make a great university even better.”

U.S. Rep. Nick Joe Rahall, D-W.Va.

Congratulations to Dr. Clements on his selection as the next president of West Virginia University. I can assure him that he has much to look forward to at his new home among the hills, and we in West Virginia anticipate great successes under his leadership.

Gov. Joe Manchin

“I commend the WVU Board of Governors for their selection of Dr. James P. Clements as the new president of West Virginia University, and I welcome him to our state.

“The Board of Governorsselection process was thorough, and I sincerely thank former WVU President Gene Budig, the Universitys presidential search committee chair, for providing his knowledge and expertise to this process. I applaud the search committee and the Board of Governors for their steadfast efforts and thank them for their service.

“Dr. Clements will provide sound direction for our states flagship university. His outstanding credentials and many years of experience speak volumes about what he will contribute to the University. I am confident that WVU will continue to flourish under the new presidents leadership, and I look forward to working with him.

“I also commend Dr. C. Peter Magrath for his unwavering dedication to WVU during this time of transition for the University, and I truly thank him for his commitment and service.”

Morgantown Mayor Ron Justice

“It’s exciting to have Dr. Clements named as president of WVU . The energy and passion he brings to the job will move WVU forward in a positive way. We look forward to a very positive working relationship between the University and the community under this leadership.”

Charles Vest, Massachusetts Institute of Technology president emeritus and WVU Board of Governors member

Jim Clements is a builder and doer with a strong passion for higher education. His track record ensures that he will work tirelessly and effectively with the faculty, staff, students and alumni to move WVU to a new level educationally and in service to the state of West Virginia. His unique mixture of academic and management expertise will serve us well.

R. Wayne King, president and chief executive officer, WVU Foundation

Dr. Clements is an outstanding choice to serve as president of West Virginia University. He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the position, and the success he has achieved during his career in higher education is very impressive. On behalf of my colleagues at the WVU Foundation, I welcome Dr. and Mrs. Clements to Morgantown and our great University.

Stephen L. Douglas, president, WVU Alumni Association

James Clements is WVU s answer to the Energizer bunny. He just keeps going and goingpounding the drum for WVU ! Anyone who spends two minutes talking with Dr. Clements will be impressed by his enthusiastic approach to higher education and his excitement to be a part of the WVU leadership. All alumni and friends will enjoy meeting and getting to know this outstanding new leader in West Virginia higher education.

Steven Kite, faculty representative, WVU Board of Governors

“I’m very excited. We have a very energetic new president. It was a very difficult decision because we had two very qualified candidates. In the end what made the difference was the energy that Jim Clements showed.”

Terry Nebel, chair, WVU Staff Council

I would have to say I was impressed with both Dr. Williams and Dr. Clements during the sessions I attended. I felt that we were in a win-win situationthat no matter which candidate the Board chose, WVU was coming out with a well-qualified leader. Im sure it must have been a very tough decision to make based on the fact that both of the candidates were so equally qualified.

Jason Zuccari, incoming student body president

“Im very excited to work with him. He knows issues, and he knows whats important to students. At the forum, Clements came in and wanted to shake every student’s hand in the crowd. When students asked questions, he answered them directly, and he made sure to tell them, �€~If I dont answer them fully, ask me again.I thought he really hit on the number, and I thought, �€~This is who I want.The majority of feedback Ive heard from students said thats who they want too.”

Jason Parsons, outgoing student body president and Board of Governors member

“I think Dr. Clements brings the energy and vitality to the office that we need. And really the most important thing I was looking at for the next president was somebody who can be a real agent of change to help us continue to achieve international prominence as a great University. I think as a leaderand he said he’s a team builderhe’ll bring faculty, staff, students and alumni together.”

Stephen J. Kopp, Marshall University president

On behalf of the students, faculty, staff and alumni of Marshall University, I congratulate Dr. James P. Clements on his selection as president of West Virginia University. I also want to thank interim President C. Peter Magrath for his open collaboration and friendship. I am optimistic that we will advance the strong working relationship that has been forged with WVU as Dr. Clements assumes his presidency.

Robert Caret, Towson University president

This is a rare opportunity to become the leader of a nationally recognized university, and Jim will do a great job. His capabilities and enthusiasm are unmatched, and West Virginia University will be pleased with their decision.”