Mary Ellen Mazey, dean of the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences at West Virginia University, has accepted a position as provost and vice president for academic affairs at Auburn University, sources there announced this evening (Jan. 23).

Her appointment is effective Feb. 15, pending approval of the Auburn Board of Trustees, which meets Jan. 29.

Mazey has served as a dean for three years at WVU , leading the Universitys largest college.

Interim WVU Provost Jane Martin said,Dean Mazey is highly regarded. It looks like a wonderful opportunity, and we certainly wish her well.

Mazey said it is a tremendous opportunity, butit is with bittersweet feelings that I will be leaving West Virginia University for Auburn. West Virginia University has been such an important part of my life. I earned my degrees here and have enjoyed my time at the Eberly College more than I can express.

During my tenure, we have seen the development of a strategic plan that will see us through 2010, and weve seen tremendous growth,Mazey added.Its been my pleasure and privilege to work with the outstanding administration, students, staff, faculty and alumni. WVU is a land-grant institution full of inspirational individuals committed to excellence.

Mazey earned a doctorate in urban geography from the University of Cincinnati and has a masters degree in geology and a bachelors degree in sociology from WVU .

She joined WVU after serving as Wright State Universitys dean of liberal arts from l999-2005. Prior to that, she was director of the Office of University Partnerships for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

With the departure of Mazey, Martin announced Rudy Almasy, WVU professor of English and former associate dean for college development, will serve as interim dean of the Eberly College, a position he has held twice before.

(Auburn University release on the Net: http://wireeagle.auburn.edu/news/670 )