The West Virginia University Community Arts Program is registering students of all ages for spring classes in music, art, media arts, theater and dance at the Creative Arts Center . Students may register through Jan. 16.
The program offers private music lessons in piano, organ, voice, jazz singing, brass, percussion, woodwind, strings, Suzuki violin, harp, guitar, theory and composition, jazz improvisation, conducting and recording technology.
The program also offers private instruction for students ages 20 and up in media arts, including lessons in Adobe Photoshop (photo restoration), Adobe Illustrator (graphic design), Adobe Dreamweaver (Web design), Adobe Flash (animation design), Adobe After Effects (film animation), Adobe Premiere (video editing), Final Cut Pro (Mac OS video editor), Linux Operating Systems (including Linux software) and Mac OS X Operating System (overall configuration of Mac OS X and tricks).
In addition to private instruction, classes available this spring include:
- ArtYoung Peoples Saturday Art Studio classes (ages 5-7 and 8-10), Basket Weaving for Beginners (ages 10 to adult), SmArt Kids (ages 3-5), Mask Making/Puppetry for Kids (ages 5-8), Introduction to Digital Photography (ages 13 and up) and Calligraphy for Adults.
- Media ArtsIntroduction to Adobe Photoshop and Intermediate Web Design (both for ages 20 and up).
- TheaterNew classes include The Inspired Voice (high school and adults), for those who want to improve their speaking voice, and Voice Production for the Stage (high school and adults), for actors and stage performers who wish to strengthen their voices. This years stage production by students in the Community Theatre Program will beAlice in WonderlandMarch 6-8 at the Metropolitan Theatre in Morgantown.
- DanceBallet: Technique to Repertoire (teens and adults), Beginning Tap Dance (ages 4-6 and 7-12), Beginning Belly Dancing (ages 13 and up), Beginning Tap Dance for Adults, Ballet/Creative Movement (ages 3-4 and 5-8), Dance for the Young (ages 3-4) and Creative Modern Dance (ages 5-7).
- MusicMusic for Babies (infants and toddlers), Explore&Enjoy (ages 2-3), Musicland Express (ages 4-6), Suzuki Violin (ages 4 and up), Beginning Group Piano for Kids (ages 6-9), Introductory Harp Class (all ages), Flute Ensemble (junior high to adult), Steel Band Ensemble (ages 9 to adult), Community Arts Orchestra (junior high to adult), Music Theory I (ages 8-12), Music Theory II (ages 13 to adult), Piano for Fun (adults of all ages) and Introduction to Recording Technology (ages 15 to adult).
The Community Arts Program will also offer the WVU High School Summer Flute Camp with Francesca Arnone , assistant professor of flute, June 17-20 at the Creative Arts Center. The camp is open to all high school flutists.
For more information about any of the classes, contact the WVU Community Arts Program Office at 293-4841 ext. 3168 or visit the Web site at http:/communityarts.wvu.edu/ .
Office hours are 10 a.m.-noon and 1-4:30 p.m. weekdays in Room 401A of the Creative Arts Center. The office will be closed Jan. 19 in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.