For most students, college is an exhilarating time full of new friends, classes and experiences. For Donald La Guerre, the last few years have been full of all of the above, plus adjusting to a new country, climate and culture.

The December graduate has come a long way since his move from Trinidad to Morgantown in 2005. He taught himself how to type via the Internet, typed his first college paper and received his first e-mail address a few months before attending West Virginia University.

La Guerre received a scholarship from the Trinidad and Tobago government to study sports psychology as part of a program for the advancement of sports in his country. He then had to choose where he wanted to attend school.

I had to get accepted on my own, and because of my passion for soccer, I wanted a school that offered my major and a Division I soccer program,he said.The USA was the best country out of my five choices for this, and WVU was the best school to do both.

La Guerre is not only a talented defender on the soccer field, but also an outstanding student. During his time at WVU , he was named a Big East Academic All-Star and made the Athletic Directors Academic Honor Roll.

La Guerre was labeled a leader and selected to represent WVU at the 2008 NCAA Leadership Convention. He was also the Big East Conference Student Athlete Advisory Committee representative for WVU .

After three years, La Guerre graduated in December and plans to return home to Trinidad to work in the Ministry of Sports.

Life here was about enjoying the college experiencemost of all maturing, being responsible, socializing, facing adversity and learning how to overcome such barriers,he said.Life at WVU was literally a learning experience in the classroom, on the soccer pitch and in my social life. Honestly, if I had to do it again, I would do it right here in good olMotown, W.Va.