In addition to working two jobs and going to school full time, athletic coaching education major Scott Oburn of Lewistown, Pa., spent his college years making a difference.

As a former member of the Air Force ROTC program, Oburn volunteered at the Ronald McDonald House, Operation Iraq Christmas and the 9/11 Freedom Walk. He also volunteered as a personal trainer at WVU s Stansbury Fitness and Wellness Center, where he would train college athletes, military personnel, students and faculty.

But the experience, he said, that was most rewarding was helping children with special needs.

Oburn spent two years working with kids participating in the local Special Olympics and Stepping Stones programs. He assisted the children in a variety of activities year round, including the golf and swimming exercises.

When working with these athletes, I realized that we take life for granted,Oburn said.The athletes that I have worked with dont let their disabilities stand in the way of their dreams.

Oburn got involved with the Special Olympics program through one of his professors in the College of Physical Activity and Sports Sciences , Daniel Ziatz. But Ziatz did more for Oburn than just introduce him to helping children with special needshe motivated the WVU student to help others and to work hard.

Without the support of God, my family, friends and professors like Dr. Ziatz and Nancy Naternicola (clinical instructor and fitness and wellness director), I would not be where I am today,Oburn said.

Ziatz said Oburn has one of the most important qualities a person can havea positive attitude.

He goes above and beyond the call of duty,Ziatz said.He is hard working, prompt, dependable and one of the best students I have seen.

After graduation, Oburn hopes to put his skills toward helping people more than he already hashe wants to become a state trooper. He has completed some of the testing to work for the state police in Pennsylvania.

He would like to work with the canine unit and eventually incorporate his love for aviation by becoming a helicopter pilot.

I feel that it is my calling,he said.I want to help make changes in the world.

When he isnt busy with school work, his jobs or volunteering, Oburn spends his time snowboarding, scuba diving, working out and rooting for the Mountaineers and other sports teams.

Even though he is excited to graduate and begin his career, Oburn said more than anything, he will miss WVU .

College is what you make of it,he said.It was tough, but I had a great time.

Oburn said in the future, he may return to Morgantown to get a job with the West Virginia State Police.