Twenty teams from six West Virginia higher education institutions have made the semifinals in the 2008-09 Statewide Collegiate Business Plan Competition sponsored by West Virginia University .
The semifinalists hail from WVU ; Marshall, Concord and Ohio Valley universities; and Glenville State and West Virginia Wesleyan colleges. They will compete Nov. 12 at the Charleston Marriott during the West Virginia Entrepreneurship Initiative Conference to qualify for the final round in the spring.
The finalist teams enroll in a comprehensive educational and mentoring program designed to turn the business idea into a viable business plan. Two $10,000 cash prizes and a bundle of business services are awarded to the winners.
This years semifinalists were selected from 90 entries representing eight colleges and universities across the state. To enter, the teams submitted three- to five-page summaries of business ideas in either the innovation or lifestyle category. The summaries were scored by panels of judges from across the region. More than 45 business professionals volunteered their time to assist in scoring.
This is the third year for the statewide competition organized by the Entrepreneurship Center in WVU s College of Business and Economics . Its purpose is to encourage students across West Virginia to create new businesses for the state.
The semifinalists are:
- Prison Literacy ProgramBarbara Blankship, Glenville State College
- NutrioJason Buckley, Marshall University
- SpokeArtRobert Loehr, WVU
- WVU BiodieselPatricia Sefton, Morgan Ames, Adam Johnson and Kayla Medina, WVU
- Team PuttPuttMegan Fletcher, WVU
- Clover Hill RetreatRobert Ashley, WVU
- KolKoNiya Apostolova, Concord University
- Mountaineer BayBradley Monahan and Andrew Yost, WVU
- The StableStephanie Tennant, WVU
- The Credit GurusSteven Minner and Joe Reilly, WVU
- Thermo1Jodie Todd, WVU
- LycaonEvan Flalkenstine, Daniel Ingold and Timothy Weadon, WVU
- SunWashJ.C. Beecroft, Bridgette Alan and Alan Atkinson, Ohio Valley University
- Wondrous WaterPaul Gallagher, WVU
- Deep Sticks DrillingJames Kerns, WVU
- The AIR HoodyTaylor Fitzpatrick, Ohio Valley University
- Wake StrapNicholas Wilson, West Virginia Wesleyan
- Green BridgeChristable Danby-Cobbina and Elizabeth Callicoat, Marshall University
- MSQuestBrandon Newsom, WVU
- Big Horn Branch BraceRyan Brett Chapman, Glenville State College
More on the Net: http://www.be.wvu.edu/bpc/