The concert will showcase five WVU jazz ensembles, including two 12-piece groups, and feature many student arrangements. It will be directed by Paul Scea and Gregory Thurman.
The concert will feature many different styles, from bebop to contemporary, said Scea, director of jazz studies in WVU s College of Creative Arts .
The program will feature Group #3 performingJeannineby Duke Pearson and WVU student Colin Woods arrangement ofSoftly as in a Morning Sunriseby Rodgers and Hammerstein. Little Big Band 2 will performDance of Denialby Michael Phillip Mossman,Atriumby Tom Kubis andThe Fourth Dimensionby Kyle Simpson.
The group On the Corner will performPrince Krak and the Dragonby WVU student Pierson Keating andFrench Girlby Dave Dyson. The group 3X3 will perform Woods arrangement ofBootsies Boleroby Larry McKenna and WVU student Jesse McBees arrangement ofOne by Oneby Wayne Shorter.
Little Big Band 1 will performForce of NatureandThe Tempestby John Mills,Far and Nearby Jim Cifelli,Artscapeby Bob Meyer andLook at Herby WVU student Brandon Lucas.
Students in the jazz groups are:
- Group #3: Colin Wood, saxophone; Nathan Strasser, piano; Rafael Procaci, guitar; Justin McFarland, bass; and Rob Myers and Danny Bain, drums
- Little Big Band 2: Lucas Shinn, alto saxophone; Grayson Smith, tenor saxophone; Colin Dugan, baritone saxophone; Dan Haywood, trombone; John Posey, guitar; James Rushin, bass; Rob Myers, drums; Gerry Karg, Jeff Conrad and Eli Wallizer, trumpet; and Diego Lyra and Pierson Keating, piano
- On the Corner: Jesse McBee, trumpet; Pierson Keating, piano; Brandon Lucas, guitar; Rob Palmay, bass; and Chris Newsom, drums
- 3X3: Chris Mickel and Colin Wood, saxophone; Jesse McBee, trumpet; Diego Lyra, keyboard; Greg Thurman, bass; and Danny Bain, drums
- Little Big Band 1: Chris Mickel, alto saxophone; Colin Wood, tenor saxophone; Lucas Shinn, baritone saxophone; Matt Kingsbury, trombone; Bandon Williams, Brandon Barr and Jesse McBee, trumpet; Nathan Strasser, piano; Brandon Lucas, guitar; Justin McFarland, bass; and Joel Hilbert and Andrew Neldon, percussion
For tickets and information, contact the WVU Mountainlair and CAC box offices at 304-293-SHOW.