* WHAT :* SURE Research Symposiums. SURE stands for Summer Undergraduate Research Experience. The eight-week program at West Virginia University culminates with poster presentations of studentsresearch in a gallery-style forum.
* WHO :* Talented undergraduate researchers
* WHEN AND WHERE :
- WVNano SURE Research Symposium3 p.m., Wednesday, July 23; National Research Center for Coal and Energy, Assembly Room, WVU Evansdale Campus
- WVU SURE Research Symposium2 p.m., Thursday, July 24; Life Sciences Building (third floor), WVU Downtown Campus
- BACKGROUND : Undergraduate students were selected to participate in research labs with faculty from WVNano; the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences; College of Engineering and Mineral Resources; Davis College of Agriculture, Forestry and Consumer Sciences; and the schools of Pharmacy and Medicine. Each student received a $3,500 stipend and took part in a research class.
SURE provides research experiences in science, technology, engineering and math fields as an important step in preparing the next generation of researchers and faculty, said Colin Wood, a member of WVU s Honors College, which helps coordinate SURE .
The SURE program is intended for students who want to pursue graduate research programs,he said.It helps students gain an understanding of the academic research field and careers that make use of their skills in the various sciences.
Previous participants have used their research for presentations at national conventions and to obtain internship experiences.
The WVU SURE program is supported by the West Virginia Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR). WVU SURE on the Net: http://www.honors.wvu.edu/sure/
The WVNano SURE program is a major education component of WVU s WVNano Initiative, the institutions focal point for discovery and innovation in nanoscale science, engineering and education. Funding for the initiative is provided by the WVU Research Corp., West Virginia EPSCoR, West Virginia Research Challenge Funds and the National Science Foundation Research Infrastructure Improvement Award. WVNano on the Net: http://wvnano.wvu.edu/