The West Virginia University College of Business and Economics Entrepreneurship Center has announced the semifinalist teams for the 2007-08 Statewide Student Business Plan Competition.
Twenty teams were selected out of 66 entries from 11 colleges and universities. The semifinalists will compete to qualify for the final round, and two teams will win $10,000 cash prizes and a bundle of services to help them start their businesses in West Virginia.
To enter, each team submitted a three- to five-page summary of a business idea in either the innovation or lifestyle category. The summaries were evaluated by judges from across the region; more than 35 business professionals volunteered their time to assist in scoring.
The second round of the competition will take place during the West Virginia Entrepreneurship Initiative Conference on Wednesday, Nov. 7.
The annual competition began in 2003, a year after the Entrepreneurship Center was established. Its purpose is to encourage students across West Virginia to think like entrepreneurs and to create new businesses for the state.
Semifinalist teams in the lifestyle category:
- Thayne Carper, Concord University, Blue Synergy
- Nick Pahoundis, Glenville State College, Mountaineer Outdoors
- John Failing, WVU , Bet On Weight Loss
- Katherine Turnbull, WVU , Kilronan Thoroughbred
- Randall Legg and Cassie McNeely, WVU , GreenSlope Reclamation
- Michael Mays, Rebecca Van Camp and John Willis, Concord University, Local Organic Produce
- Chris Boland, Justin Castello and Nelson Mitzen, Bethany College, Bethany Eco-Tourism Center
- Molly Grove, Daniel Hager and Matthew Smith, Marshall University, Good Times
- Anastasia Heasley and Daniel Desmond, WVU and Fairmont State University, Wholesomes
- Bryan Bush and Joshua Meadows, Glenville State College, J-B Adventures
Semifinalist teams in the innovation category:
- Nicholas Anthony and Andrew Higgins, WVU , Advanced Research Instrumentation
- Jessi James, WVU , Outlaw Feeders
- Lance Hitt, Glenville State College, Gas Pass
- Michael Armstrong, WVU , Student Plus
- Kevin Clark and Simeon Bright, WVU and Potomac State College of WVU , BC Phones
- Zach Armentrout and Nesha Sanghavi, WVU , Gorge Gazers
- Bryan Bailey, Natasha Cline, Christina Coughlin and Ashleigh Glass, Concord University, Passport Language Learning
- Lindsay Barrows, WVU , Stress-Free Scheduling
- Abram Goff and William Jones, Concord University, ReModular
- Heidi Wilson, WVU , Artist Connector
For more information, visithttp://www.be.wvu.edu/bpc/.