A student deaf from birth will be among approximately 84 who will graduate with masters degrees Friday, Aug. 10, at 6 p.m. in the West Virginia University Mountainlair Ballrooms, having completed graduate programs in the WVU College of Business and Economics.

The graduates come from the colleges business administration, industrial relations, professional accountancy and economics programs.

Despite his disability, Allen Winfree of Campbells Creek, W.Va., is graduating with a masters degree in business administration after picking up his undergraduate degree last year from WVU Institute of Technology.

Winfree said he is setting an example for others who have challenges to overcome and mountains to move in their lives.

I feel very proud that I have been able to go where many peopledeaf and hearinghave not been able tosaid Winfree.We have to work harder to prove ourselves, but I think that pays off with what we can contribute. One of the reasons I pursued an MBA was to show other deaf people that if they work really hard at what they want to be, it can be possible for them to obtain their professional degree. WVU will give me an opportunity to show people that there is no reason to allow their handicap to prevent them from becoming anything they want to be.

Winfree hopes to become a financial analyst in international banking. He also plans to work toward a doctorate degree.

Nearly 300 people are expected to attend Fridays ceremony.