About eight months ago, West Virginia University graduate student Sherrie Garner made a life-changing decisionshe took on a personal challenge to live a healthier life through exercise and weight management.

But reaching those personal goals wasnt easy. She juggled her healthy diet and exercise program while working full-time as a mental health specialist at WVU Hospitals and pursuing graduate studies.

But Garners hard work paid off in a 148-pound weight loss since beginning the healthier lifestyle changes in October 2006.

The focus I maintained to reach my personal goals was achieved through the support of my mom, many friends and my choice of health care and recreational professionals,said Garner, 37, who is studying to be a school counselor in the College of Human Resources and Education.

I just wanted to make a change physically, emotionally and spiritually,she added.I wanted to feel better inside. Within my changes, I found that the best health care for me was to care for myself.

When Garner made her life-changing decision, she was 36 and weighed 350 pounds. She consulted a team of medical professionals from Health Management Resources (HMR) and WVU Hospitals, along with a therapist. HMR is a national weight-management organization based in Boston, which operates in Morgantown under the umbrella of University Health Associates. Through consultation with her support team, she pursued her personal health goals.

The team of professionals at HMR worked with Garner to set up a weight and lifestyle change program. She had a choice as to how quickly she wanted to lose weight in the programshe chose what she terms the mostaggressiveroute, which included exercise and a very low calorie diet. Her initial goal was to lose 50 pounds. When she lost that, and then 100 pounds, she decided to keep going. Her overall goal today is to lose 150 pounds, which she has nearly reached.

Garner began her exercise program by walking on the indoor track at WVU s Student Recreation Center. As she built stamina, she also began exercising on other equipment at the center, including stairsteppers and elliptical trainers. Today, she lifts weights and also exercises on the leg press.

Sherrie is an inspiration to us all,said Colleen Harshbarger, the Rec Centers manager of fitness, wellness and informal recreation.She is providing a lot of encouragement to show others what can be accomplished with a healthy diet and exercise, and she also shows the Rec Center is for everybody.

One of the best parts of exercising at the Rec is everyones support, Garner said. It was through the Center that Garner connected with Emily Murphy, a

pediatric exercise physiologist with WVU s School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, who has worked with Linda Carson, Ware Distinguished Professor in the WVU School of Physical Education, to fight childhood obesity.

When Garner was an undergraduate student at WVU studying physical education, Carson was her advisor.

Emily was the first person that made mention to what I refer to as my life transformation at the Rec Center,Garner said.She was very encouraging. Everyone at the Student Rec has been very helpful and supportive.

Garner tells everyone that her aim for a healthier self has been tremendously fun. She recently celebrated with family and friends at a three-hour exercise party calledIve Totally Lost It!

Celebrating with an exercise party shared with friends and family was taking my new-found energy into a lifestyle of maintaining optimum health,Garner said, noting the decision to lose weight was a proactive approach to her life.

At this point my choice to share my journey is because I desire to be an educator and an inspiration to others. The method of helping others as a counselor is one of being a role model.

Garner sees her role now as an educator who can inform and show others that weight loss goals are attainable. She has written several testimonials about her experience.

Today, I feel amazing,Garner said.My greatest compliment is when others say how healthy I look and sound. I believe achieving my own peace is in how I see myself. Today, I like how I see and feel about me. With my weight loss I have gained so much self-confidence. I value the size I am and no longer feel it is out of my control to maintain a healthy weight for myself.

WVU offers many programs for students, faculty and staff, which include exercise, nutrition and mental health. The Rec Center offers free personal training and group classes to its members. Plans are also under way to offer a new group exercise class for people who have a significant amount of weight to lose.

The programs and services are part of WVU President David C. Hardesty, Jr.s Wellness and Nutrition Initiative. The initiative was set forth to get students, faculty, staff and the WVU community more physically active and aware of campus wellness options.

For more information about WVU s Wellness and Nutrition Initiative, visithttp://wellness.wvu.edu/. For information about diet and exercise programs, contact HMR at 304-293-6883 or Harshbarger at the Student Rec, 304-293-5054.