Its not unusual for several members of the same family to attend West Virginia University. For many families, loyalty to the gold and blue is a tradition that is followed from generation to generation.

What makes the Wang siblings stand out is they traveled half way around the world from Taiwan for the opportunity to be Mountaineers and attend classes at WVU .

Hua-Yu Wang, who goes byLeo,is the second member of the Wang family to attend WVU . He will graduate this weekend, following in the footsteps of older sister, Yu-Hsuan, orLily,who attends graduate school at WVU .

And in the fall of 2008, another sibling, Yu-Hsuan, orMaria,plans to join them.

The initial reason I applied to WVU is because my older sister was admitted to graduate school here,Leo Wang said.But after I arrived here, I knew I was going to love it. My first impression of Morgantown was that it was a peaceful place where people were very nice and friendly.

And after four years of college life, I still think this tranquil environment was the best place for me to study, to enjoy and to love the tradition and culture of the school,he said.

Taipei, Wangs home, is a large city with a population of more than 2.6 million.

The pace is quickand you sometimes dont even have time to breathe,he said.

The educational system also differs, according to Wang.

Most schools and teachers tend to force students to memorize the knowledge instead of inspiring them to spontaneously learn things behind the textbook and exams,he said.The lucky thing for me is my parents always give us more flexible ways to learn what we want to learn and do what we love to do.

Although Wang only gets home during summer break, he enjoys living in a Morgantown apartment with his older sister. She received her bachelors degree in chemistry in Taiwan and entered graduate school at WVU in 2003, the same year he entered undergraduate school.

To help with finances, Wang has worked at the Chemistry Research Lab and WVU Dining Services since arriving in Morgantown. He had to quit working this semester, however, due to his heavy course load while finishing up before graduation.

I feel so excited about the upcoming commencement though my parents might not be able to come,he said.In any event, I am traveling back to visit them right after my commencement to enjoy my summer break before grad school starts.

Like his sister, Wang plans to continue his graduate studies in chemistry.

My dream is to apply what Ive learned to contribute to human beings, that is, to be a biochemist,he said.I enjoy research.Putting my own ideas into practice is pretty cool. I know that I still have a long way to go to achieve my career goal, but I have great confidence to face any coming challenges.

Wangs older sister is currently working with chemistry professor Kung Wangs organic chemistry group as a research assistant. She hopes to finish her five-year doctoral degree next May and will be looking for either an academic position or an industrial job at a pharmaceutical company.

Wangs younger sister is in 11th grade studying social science in Taiwan. Her passion is playing the cello, and she plans to enroll in the College of Creative Arts in the fall of 2008.

Tom Sloane, senior associate dean of student life at WVU , recently visited Taiwan as part of a recruiting effort.

Several of us were going to recruit new students in Taiwan,he said.Leo was one of my English students. Before I left, I asked his advice about how to get around and what to do in Taiwan. He gave me some tips and said his family was there.

I didnt expect it, but his mother showed up at our information booth on a Saturday afternoon,Sloane added.She introduced herself to us and took us to dinner. It was really a great connection.

Later, Wangs parents took him on a tour of the city, showing him the highlights of their culture.

It was so nice to see these parents while we were overseas,Sloane said.Its great that they are sending their three children to WVU . The Wangs are definitely proud of their connection to WVU .