A West Virginia University student has been named a United States Achievement Academy (USAA) Collegiate All-American Scholar.

Meagan Birmingham, a junior from Chatham, Ontario Canada,and a student in WVU s Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, recently received this prestigious national award, which is presented to fewer than 10 percent of all college students.

Recipients of the award are listed in the nationally published Collegiate All-American Yearbook.

Birmingham is working toward bachelors degrees in communication studies and womens studies. She is also working on a minor in professional writing and editing.

I have a great passion for learning and leading in order to make a difference, but I never needed to be recognized for it, I just enjoy doing it,Birmingham said.

Birmingham was nominated for the award by Maria Brann, associate professor of communication studies.

Meagan is an amazing scholar and person,Brann said.She works hard both inside the classroom and out of it. She is very dedicated to her school work and her extracurricular activities.

This semester, Birmingham served as the vice president of WVU s Lambda Pi Eta, the national communication honor society. She will serve as the societys president in the fall.

In addition, she served as president of STAND : Students Taking Action Now (on) Darfur and as treasurer for the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance (FMLA). Birmingham is also a member of National Exemplary Scholars in Service (NESS).

Meagan definitely goes above and beyond what is expected and takes on additional projects to help other people and improve campus,Brann said.I really believe Meagan is an All-American Scholar. She exemplifies the characteristics of being an astute student and caring citizen. She deserves to be recognized for all of her hard work and dedication to this campus and community.

The Academy established the Collegiate All-American Scholar Award Program to recognize superior students who excel in the academic disciplines. The scholars must earn a 3.3 or higher grade point average. Scholars are selected by a school official or other qualified sponsor.

I feel so honored that the academy would recognize me but even more honored that Dr. Brann took the time to nominate me and that she feels that I deserve this award,Birmingham said.I don’t know what to say except thank you as this is something I never dreamed of achieving.

For more information, contact Birmingham at 304-685-2226 or mbirming@mix.wvu.edu .