Five years after making a pact with herself to run for the position of American Dairy Goat Association Youth Representative, Vanessa Wallace has made good on her promise. The West Virginia University sophomore was named youth representative at this years ADGA National Convention.

Wallace, an animal and veterinary science major in the Davis College of Agriculture, Forestry and Consumer Sciences, will be representing youth dairy goat owners all over the nation. Shell have the opportunity to visit fairs and shows on both coasts, as well as attend the ADGA National Show and National Convention.

Being the ADGA Youth Representative will allow me to represent and preserve youth importance to the association,she said.I believe that the success of the association depends upon its youth involvement.

The Pickaway, W.Va., native certainly knows what its like to not only be involved with dairy goats, but with organizations and her community as well. Wallace has been an active member of ADGA , 4-H, FFA and Mountain State Diary Goat Club.

After learning the basics of showing, managing and caring for dairy goats through the 4-H program, she showed her first goat at the 1998 West Virginia State Fair, where she was named Rookie of the Year. She now has a medium-sized herd of Alpines, LaManchas, Toggenburgs and Recorded Grades.

As ADGA Youth Representative, Wallace will be able to continue her involvement with the industry and help guide young dairy goat entrepreneurs.

This is an amazing opportunity for me because I get to represent all of the fantastic youth goat owners, but I will also be able to share my knowledge of the industry with other youth just starting their dairy goat enterprises,she said.