On learning of the passing of former WVU President Harry B. Heflin (served WVU in 1981 as 18th president), * WVU President David C. Hardesty, Jr. issued the following statement:

Harry Heflin was a man of West Virginia who served West Virginia higher education throughout all of his long and productive life.

He and his wife Dora have been coaches and mentors to Susan and me for almost 40 years.

The entire University is saddened by the loss of a man of such uncommon goodness and high moral character. Our sympathies are extended to Mrs. Heflin and Dr. Heflin’s family and friends.

*Forner WVU President Gene Budig, who preceded Dr. Heflin, issued this statement..

“Harry Heflin lived for WVU , always believing in its relevance and might.”

* WVU ’s 15th president, Paul A. Miller, had this to say about Dr. Heflin:

“Harry came to the post of vice president for business and administration during my term. We had walked the streets of Charleston on the subject one night following some kind of meeting there. He accepted my invitation and he became one of my most helpful colleagues and wise guides. He is remembered as among the most authentic personages in my acquaintance. Indeed, his advice helped shape me for the remainder of my career. I am pleased now to have told him so more than once over the years. Following is one anecdote you may or may not use as you choose.

“One day ion a auto trip together, when I was very busy and had too many balls in the air, Harry said this: `Paul, I had a dream that found you the drum major of the WVU band, marching up and down Mountaineer Field. You are stepping high with bold and vigorous steps. Yet, strangely and gradually, individuals in the band kept dropping off and going into the stands, until, finally, you are marching straight ahead by yourself!’

“Such was the quiet wisdomand fearless honesty of Harry Heflin, and. we proceeded to talk about the consequences of trying too much too soon and too fast.

“I told this story to Jim Votruba, president of Northern Kentucky University when he felt similarly overcome, citing Harry Heflin again. Jim also teaches in the Harvard school for new university presidents. He has told me he uses it there constantly, crediting Harry Helfin, with the new presidents telling him, in turn, that they retell it to others. Jim thinks hundreds have heard it and still pass it on.”

*Information on visitation and services

Friends may call at Hastings Funeral Home, 153 Spruce Street from 3-5 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Monday, Oct. 2. The body will be moved and lie in state at Wesley United Methodist Church, 503 High Street, Morgantown, on Tuesday, Oct. 3, from 10 a.m. until the time of the service at the church at 11 a.m. with Dr. Ken A. Ramsey officiating. Burial will follow at the I.O.O.F. Cemetery in St. Marys at 1 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 4.