West Virginia University students will see stars when Greek fraternities and sororities host a Hollywood-themed Homecoming Week Oct. 10-16.
Homecomingthe traditional time of year when alumni, family and friends are welcomed back to campus with a parade, football game and other special eventswill spotlight Greek pride, talent and some friendly competition.
Each sorority will partner with one or two fraternities. The teams are: Alpha Omicron Pi and Beta Theta Pi; Alpha Phi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Theta Chi; Alpha Xi Delta, Phi Kappa Psi and Tau Kappa Epsilon; Chi Omega, Pike Kappa Alpha and Sigma Alpha Mu; Delta Gamma, Delta Tau Delta and Phi Delta Theta; Kappa Kappa Gamma, Phi Sigma Kappa and Kappa Alpha; Pi Beta Phi, Phi Gamma Delta and Sigma Chi; and Sigma Kappa and Pi Kappa Phi.
Each team will choose a movie that will be its theme for the week, said Greek Programming Committee President Lydia Taylor.
I am really excited about Homecoming this year,she said.We chose a theme that would allow the groups to be creative. With the help of my committee, weve added a couple of new events and modified the point system. I think more Greeks will be involved this year, and I hope it turns out to be an awesome week.
* SCHEDULE OF GREEK HOMECOMING WEEK ACTIVITIES :*
- *Monday, Oct. 10Banner competition
- Banners are to be hung up on the sorority houses by noon and judged in the afternoon by the Greek Programming Committee.
- *Tuesday, Oct. 11Online voting, scavenger hunt and relay race
- Online voting for Homecoming king and queen begins at 7 a.m. via the MIX . The scavenger hunt is at 4:30 p.m.; the relay race at 5 p.m. Both will take place on the Mountainlair Plaza.
- *Wednesday, Oct. 12Homecoming Games and online voting
- Groups will compete in a hot pepper-eating contest, egg toss and tug-of- war from 6-8 p.m. on the Mountainlair green. If it rains, the competition will be moved to the Stansbury Hall gym. Online voting for king and queen continues.
- *Thursday, Oct. 13Airbands and online voting
- Airbands will be from 5-7 p.m. outside the Mountainlair (inside if it rains). During intermission, there will be a contest for the best dressed duo. Online voting wraps up at 11:59 p.m.
- *Friday, Oct. 14Homecoming Parade
- The parade kicks off at 6:30 p.m. on High Street. Each team will enter a float inspired by a movie.
- *Saturday, Oct. 15 WVU -Louisville football game
- Kickoff is at 3:30 p.m. at Milan Puskar Stadium. After the king and queen are crowned at halftime, the winners of the Greek portion of Homecoming activities will be announced.