September 6th, 2005
A host of events are planned at West Virginia University this weekend (Sept. 9-11) surrounding the Mountaineershome opener against Wofford.
- FanFest The annual pep rally before the home opener is set for 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 9, in front of the Mountainlair. The event is free and open to the public, and fans are asked to not only show their support for the Mountaineers, but also for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. (See below.)
- Dollars for DisasterFund-Raiser The Student Health Advisory Board and Student Government Association are joining forces to collect donations for Hurricane Katrina relief from 4-6 p.m. Friday in front of theLair in conjunction with FanFest. Monetary donations go directly to the American Red Cross.
- Black Alumni Reunion Registration and Mixer This is the kickoff of a weekend of reunion activities. Registration will take place from 6-10 p.m. Friday at LTs Restaurant on University Avenue.
- * WVU Day Information Fair* Prospective WVU students and their families have a chance to meet representatives from various academic programs, Admissions and Financial Aid offices, and numerous support services. The fair runs from 2-4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10, at the WVU Coliseum.
- Young Alumni Reunion Graduates from the classes of 2003-05 are invited to attend a young alumni event from 3-5:30 p.m. Saturday in Coca Cola Hospitality Village ( Tent City) at Milan Puskar StadiumBlue Lot near the press box entrance.
- * WVU vs.* Wofford football game The home opener for the Mountaineers will kick off at 6 p.m. Saturday at Milan Puskar Stadium.
- Remembrances A video commemorating the fourth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks will be shown on the video board while the WVU band plays the national anthem at the football game; an observance will also be observed for Hurricane Katrina victims.
- Hurricane Relief Efforts at Saturdays Game WVU student-athletes from various sports along with other student groups will be conducting a fund-raising drive for the American Red Cross. They will have three collection points at the stadiumwest, east and north entrances and gates.
- Black Alumni Reunion Gathering After the football game, members of the black alumni constituent group will get together for an Old School Party from 9:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. in the Mountainlair Ballrooms.
- Black Alumni Reunion Brunch and Scholarship Kickoff Members of the black alumni constituent group will attend a brunch from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 11, at Erickson Alumni Center. The event honors the service of Horace and Geraldine Belmear, who spent 50-plus years mentoring African-American students at WVU .