Thousands of miles away from the devastation, West Virginia Universitys international community is feeling the emotional toll of Sundays deadly tsunamis in Southern Asia.

More than 460 WVU students409 from India, 16 from Indonesia, 19 from Malaysia, one from Myanmar, seven from Sri Lanka and 11 from Thailandhave ties to the areas hardest hit by the disaster.

International student program adviser Karen Bird, along with members of the Indian and Malaysian student associations, has been trying to communicate with students by e-mail. So far, there have been no reports of students hurt or killed.

ISA President Ranjit Jangham said his friends plan to lend a hand with the relief efforts.

Meanwhile, Kharivat Narayanan, an administrative secretary for WVU s International Programs, said he is still anxiously awaiting word of his family and friends in India.

I am worried. I have not been able to get through to them on the phone,he said,and I have not yet received any responses to e-mails that I have sent.

Narayanan grew up in Chennai, where some 50,000 people are thought to have been made homeless. The last time he visited was in 1987.

I lived a stones throw away from where the current tragedy has taken place,he said.The school I went to (St. Bedes High School), the Santhome Cathedral, the Archdioceses residence and the headquarters of the Theosophical Society were all situated along the seashore.

Karen Bird may be reached for interviews at 304-293-3519.