Frank DeMarco, executive director of the Graceland Inn and Conference Center at Davis&Elkins College, will graduate with an executive masters of business administration (EMBA) degree this month from West Virginia Universitys Elkins distance learning site.

In 2001, he started teaching hospitality management classes at Davis&Elkins and began to aspire to a regular faculty position, but he needed an advanced degree.

DeMarco wanted an MBA , but because of his professional commitments, he didnt think he could manage it. When he heard the EMBA program had come to Elkins and only required two evenings a week and an occasional weekend, he enrolled.

Hes pleased he took the plunge.

This program has made me a more effective leader at work,he said.I feel fine-tuned in how to think, plan and pay close attention to details.

DeMarco also points to his international experience as one of the highlights of the program for him. All EMBA students are encouraged to study abroad for a brief period and WVU s College of Business and Economics offers a range of opportunities. DeMarco chose Italy.

That trip allowed me to experience hospitality in a European country

invaluable experience for someone in my profession,he said.I gained a lot of valuable knowledge that I can share with my students.