A mass exodus of students will soon occur on the campus of West Virginia University when residence halls close for the Thanksgiving holiday break.
Students have until 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 19, to temporarily vacate the residence halls, said Trish Cendana, assistant director of WVU Residential Education.
Halls will remain closed until noon Sunday, Nov. 28; classes resume the following day.
On Friday, Nov. 19, the Mountaineer Parents Club, in cooperation with the WVU Motor Pool, is offering shuttle service to the Pittsburgh Airport for $15.
Rides to the Pittsburgh Airport depart at 11:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. from the Mountainlair, and noon and 4:30 p.m. from the Evansdale Residential Complex.
Return rides from Pittsburghalong with bus service to Maryland, New Jersey and New Yorkare full.
However, limited space is available for Christmas and spring break transportation to Hagerstown, Md.; Allentown, Pa.; Newark, N.J.; and the New York Port Authority. One-way service is $75 and round-trip is $100.
Students are encouraged to make reservations now as Christmas bus service is already more than half full.
To make reservations, call the WVU Motor Pool at 304-293-5627.
Meanwhile, WVU Dining Services, Mountainlair, Libraries and Student Recreation Center will operate under curtailed hours during the Thanksgiving break.
Mountainlair and Dining Services
Dining rooms close at 2 p.m. Friday, Nov. 19. Residents may pack a dinner for the road.
Other WVU dining facilities will be open on a limited basis:
- Mean GenesNov. 22-23, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Bits&BytesNov. 22-23, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Brewn Gold CaféNov. 28, 3:30-8 p.m.
- Lyons DenNov. 28, 8 p.m.-2 a.m.
- Cafe EvansdaleNov. 28, 12:30-6:30 p.m.
- Boreman BistroNov. 28, 12:30-6:30 p.m.
All Dining Services operations resume normal hours on Monday, Nov. 29.
Hours for the Mountainlair student union are as follows: Friday, Nov. 19, 7 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday, Nov. 20, 8:30 a.m.-11 p.m.; Sunday, Nov. 22, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.
Student Recreation Center
The Student Recreation Center will be open Nov. 19, 6 a.m.-8 p.m.; Nov. 20-21, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Nov. 22-23, 6 a.m.-8 p.m.; Nov. 24-26, closed; Nov. 27, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Nov. 28, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
* WVU Libraries
WVU Libraries will operate under the following schedule during the break:
- Downtown, Evansdale and Health Sciences librariesNov. 19, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.;
- Nov. 20, 1-5 p.m.; Nov. 21, closed; Nov. 22-23, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Nov. 24, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (only public services open); Nov. 25-26, closed; Nov. 27, 1-5 p.m.; Nov. 28, 6-10 p.m.
- West Virginia Collection LibraryNov. 20-21, closed; Nov. 22-23, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Nov. 24, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. (only main reading room books and microfilm available); Nov. 25-28, closed.
- Mathematics LibraryNov. 20-21, closed; Nov. 22-23, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Nov. 24-28, closed.
- Law LibraryNov. 20, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; Nov. 21, noon-6 p.m.; Nov. 22-24, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; Nov. 25, closed; Nov. 26-27, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; Nov. 28, noon-11 p.m.
The White Hall and Evansdale computing labs will be available during the following times:
White Hall: Nov. 20, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Nov. 21, 2-9 p.m.; Nov. 22-23, 8 a.m.-9 p.m.; Nov. 24 and 27, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Nov. 28, 2-9 p.m.
Evansdale: Nov. 20, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Nov. 21, 2-9 p.m.; Nov. 22-23, 8 a.m.-9 p.m.; Nov. 24 and 27, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Nov. 28, 2-9 p.m.