Mountain State University announces that Jon Reed, former West Virginia University General Counsel, will become the newest member of the MSU Executive Staff as Vice President of Legal Affairs, effective August 16. His role will be that of legal advisor to the Executive Staff and Board to assist the University in moving forward with its initiatives.

Jon Reed has served in a variety of distinctive roles at WVU and for the State of West Virginia throughout his career. His accomplishments include serving as Deputy Attorney General for the State of West Virginia and as the Director of the Attorney Generals Consumer Protection and Antitrust Division. While in that position, he also served as counsel to the State Banking Department and to the Board of Banking and Financial Institutions and served on the West Virginia Lending and Credit Rate Board. In addition to teaching part-time while serving as General Counsel at WVU , the Departments of Internal Audit and Intercollegiate Athletics also reported to him during the majority of time he was in the position. In 2001, Reed decided to further explore his love of teaching as a full-time professor of Educational Leadership Studies.

Reed noted,While working closely with President Polk a few years ago on the development of an affiliation agreement between MSU and WVU , I discovered what people in Raleigh County already knew, that MSU is a jewel sitting in the heart of our southern coal fields. MSU serves a unique and vital role that extends far beyond the borders of Beckley. I have often held MSU up to my students at WVU as a positive example of what a private higher education institution can and should be in West Virginia.

I have been most fortunate in my career. Each place I have worked has given me an opportunity to play some small role in helping to build a better future for the families of West Virginia. Everyone in the Beckley area knows what a unique and important role MSU serves in the region, and I am pleased to be able to become a part of it.

Many changes are taking place at MSU as opportunities present themselves. We are thrilled to have someone of Jon Reeds experience and background join our team here,says MSU President Charles H. Polk.Our current General Counsel, Layne Diehl, has decided to assume another leadership position for the University to further her career in higher education. These are progressive, exciting developments as we continue building a strong university presence for the benefit of our community in southern West Virginia.