Gold medals are nice, but for athlete Eric Williams, Special Olympics is about good sportsmanship and having fun.

Williams, 30, of Gary, will have his chance to both go for the gold and spread goodwill at the Special Olympics West Virginia Summer Games this weekend (June 3-5) at West Virginia University.

He will be among 20-plus athletes from McDowell County making the trek to Morgantown for the Summer Games. Specializing in track and field, he will compete in the 200-yard dash, 100-yard dash and running long jump.

Ive been doing Special Olympics ever since I was in grade school,Williams said.Its a real good experience. You get to meet different athletes and volunteers and make all kinds of friends.

It really makes you appreciate the things you have because you see so many people with different challenges,he added.It feels good to win a gold medal, but its all about good sportsmanship and having fun.

Not that Williams hasnt won his share of gold medals, along with bronze and silver medals and ribbons.

I had my bedroom wall covered with gold medals at one time, but I lost them in a fire in 1989,he said, adding that he has won more since then to make up for the loss.

Williams said his favorite part of the Summer Games is opening ceremonies, especially the Parade of Athletes when each of the participating counties is introduced.

When he is not practicing or competing, Williams works at the McDonalds in Welch, about 30 minutes from the home he shares with his mother and stepfather, Darlene and Richard Mullins.

His hobbies include collecting model trains and race cars.

A model Special Olympian is how John Corbett would describe Williams.

I always enjoy seeing Eric because he smiles from the start of the Summer Games to the very end, regardless of his performance,said Corbett, chief executive officer of Special Olympics West Virginia.

He truly epitomizes what Special Olympic athletes are about, because he really just does his best and has a wonderful time in the process,he added.He truly appreciates all the people around him who are trying to help, and he makes that appreciation known.

And that appreciation extends to a higher power. A Mormon, Williams attributes his success as an athlete to God.

If it wasnt for the Lord, I wouldnt be able to compete and do what I do now,he said.