His academic record is impeccable, his community service admirable and his commitment to the state of West Virginia is notable. These are only a few of the reasons that Robert L. Baldwin Jr. is the recipient of the 2003 M. Dean and Mabel R. Elliott Distinguished Scholar Scholarship of the WVU Alumni Association’s Loyalty Permanent Endowment Fund (LP EF). The award, valued at more than $48,000 over a four-year period, entitles Baldwin to a full undergraduate scholarship, plus a stipend to pursue other academic enhancements such as studies abroad.

Robert Baldwin Jr. is the son of Robert Sr. and Susan Baldwin of Logan County.

He is the valedictorian at Chapmanville High School, and has received top honors as Academic Student of the Year at his school for the past three years. He has maintained a perfect grade-point average throughout high school, and also served as senior class president, member of the National Honor Society, and captain and quarterback of the Chapmanville High varsity football team. In addition, he serves in number of volunteer roles in his church and community. He was the 1999 winner of the state’s coveted Golden Horseshoe award, and selected to attend the 2002 WV Governor’s Honors Academy.

“We are extremely honored to offer this award to Rob,”explained James McCartney, trustee of the LPE Fund.”Young people like him are jewels of our state and leaders of tomorrow,”he continued.

Baldwin is the 13th student to receive a full scholarship from the WVU Alumni Association. The Loyalty Permanent Endowment Fund trustees established these awards in 1996 as a way to award West Virginia students as distinguished scholar. Last year alone, more than 500 students from the state received scholarships of varying amounts through the LPEF .

Baldwin said he is honored to receive the award and attributes his success to his parents.

“They have always challenged me and encouraged me to do my best. Everything I have I owe to my parents,”he said.

A lifelong Mountaineer fan, Baldwin said he is excited to become a part of the WVU student body.

“I have grown up with the University as a part of my life. My parents attended the University and we visit often. That is why I have wanted to come to school here for a very long time, and I am even more fortunate to do it on a full scholarship,”Baldwin said.

Stephen Douglas, executive secretary and chief executive officer of the Alumni Association, says the scholarship rewards hard work.

“Rob has committed himself to excellence in his classroom and in his community. Also, WVU alumni and friends have contributed to this endowment over the years, and are pleased to see a young West Virginian rewarded in such a manner.”

As for his plans after college, Baldwin wants to attend medical school and eventually practice medicine in the state.

A WVU Alumni Association representative will make a special presentation to Baldwin during an awards ceremony at Chapmanville High School May 28.

The WVU Alumni Association, chartered in 1873, represents more than 145,000 university graduates residing in every county in West Virginia, every state in the union and approximately 60 foreign nations. With nearly 100 registered chapters and constituent groups, the association’s 26,000 dues-paying members support Homecoming Weekend, the WVU Academy of Distinguished Alumni and dozens of other social and philanthropic programs.