The Division of Forestry at West Virginia University’s Davis College of Agriculture, Forestry and Consumer Sciences recently honored outstanding students and faculty at its 68th annual alumni banquet.
A number of scholarships were distributed at the event.
- Spring Boland, a student in Recreation, Parks And Tourism Resources (RPT) from Independence, and Robert Alonso, a student in Wildlife And Fisheries Resources (WFR) from Arbovale, received H. Philip Berthy Scholarships.
- Dustin Smith, WFR , West Union, received the Virgil W. and James C. Spitzer Scholarship. Kristin Lockerman, a student in Forest Resources Management (FRM) from Hockessin, Del., received the Allen W. Goodspeed Forestry Scholarship.
- Matthew B. Johnson, FRM , Salem, received the Freshman Hoyt Scholarship.
- Lukas Petra, FRM , Lewisburg, Pa., and Christopher Brown, FRM , Salem, received Division of Forestry Hoyt Scholarships.
- John Hitchcock, RPT , Falling Waters, received the Howard D. Bennett Scholarship.
- Jessica Evans, FRM , Hillsboro, received the Forestry Club Scholarship.
- Erin Finegan, FRM , Morgantown, was named Outstanding Forestry Club Member.
- Collin Fridley, FRM , Arthurdale, received the Dr. Kenneth Carvell Student Award.
- The Forestry Alumni Association presented the Eugene Shreve Alumni Association Scholarship to William Beaumont, RPT , Morgantown, and the WVU Forestry Alumni Scholarship to Joshua Scullen, WFR , Silver Spring, Md..
- John Crites, president of Allegheny Wood Products, presented W. Clement Percival Scholarships to Seth Burdette, FRM , Elkview, and Lee Ann Hall, FRM , Middlebourne, Crites also presented the Herman G. Yeager Scholarship to Jessica Bright, RPT , Morgantown, and the Orris D. McCauley Memorial Scholarship to Clint Puller, a Wood Industries student from Brookville, Pa.
- Forestry professor Ray Hicks received the Forest Management Faculty Award and the Xi Sigma Pi Award.
- Robert Whitmore, WFR professor, received the Kevin Kinsley Award.
- Steve Selin, associate professor, received the Recreation and Parks Faculty Award.
- Kyle Hartman, associate professor, received the Wildlife and Fisheries Faculty Award.
- James Armstrong, professor, received the Wood Industry Faculty Award.
- Tony Tomkowski, FRM assistant professor, received the West Virginia Vegetation Management Award.
- Jim Anderson, WFR assistant professor, received the Hoyt Outstanding Faculty Award.
- John Brooks, FRM assistant professor, received the Forest Products Society Outstanding Educator Award.
- Jim Fazio,’64, a professor in the University of Idaho’s College of Natural Resources, received the Outstanding Alumnus Award from the Forestry Alumni Association.
Gifts for scholarships are made through the WVU Foundation, a private non-profit corporation that generates and provides support for West Virginia University. It is conducting the $250 million Building Greatness Campaign on behalf of West Virginia University. A five-year effort, the Campaign has generated $261.9 million in gifts and pledges and concludes on Dec. 31, 2003.