West Virginia University senior and Clarksburg native Stephanie D. Taylor has added another prestigious honor to her growing resume. The May WVU journalism graduate recently received a Golden Key Scholar Award worth $10,000 toward her graduate education. She is the first WVU student to receive the prestigious international honor.
“Golden Key International Honour Society awards only 12 students with this scholarship each year,”said Robert Kent, faculty advisor to the WVU chapter.”Hundreds of students compete for this scholarship on an international level based on their Golden Key activities, campus activities, academics, work experience and a sampling of their work. This is quite a tribute to Stephanie’s accomplishments and to WVU for providing her with the tools to accomplish her goals. The chapter and WVU are better because Stephanie Taylor has shared her leadership skills with us. We celebrate in her success.”
The Golden Key Chapter at WVU was founded in 1979, and inducts the top 15 percent of juniors and seniors into the honorary each year. The chapter is the recipient of the 2000 Founders Award as the No. 1 chapter of Golden Key domain and continues to be a key chapter award winner each year. Taylor was instrumental in the chapter winning three awards at the Eastern Regional Conference held in New York City in March.
Taylor is a news-editorial major with a minor in political science. The summa cum laude graduate plans to attend the WVU College of Law this fall.
Other honors and activities include:
- Order of Augusta, reserved for WVU ’s top eight graduating seniors based on scholarship, leadership and service
- Outstanding Senior, reserved for WVU ’s top 30 graduating seniors
- Recipient of the Kenneth D. Gray Leadership award
- Recipient of William E. and Karen R. Collins Active Member Award
- President of Golden Key International Honour Society, WVU Chapter
- Student Government Association Public Relations Chair
- Student Orientation Student Chairperson
- Founder of the School of Journalism mentoring program
- Recipient of P.I. Reed School of Journalism scholarships
- Member of Dean’s/President’s List honors each semester
- Reporter for The Daily Athenaeum and Shinnston News and Harrison County Journal
Stephanie is the daughter of Michael and Marianne Taylor of Clarksburg.