West Virginia University’s chapter of the honor society of agriculture -Gamma Sigma Delta- recently recognized students, faculty, and alumni at its annual initiation and awards banquet.
Based in WVU ’s Davis College of Agriculture, Forestry and Consumer Sciences, the honorary has welcomed more than 1,300 students, alumni and faculty since the chapter’s inception in 1959.
- Distinguished Service To West Virginia Agriculture And Forestry: Sue Miles , Family Life Specialist, WVU Extension Service, and Edmond Collins, Associate Director, retired, WVU Center for Agricultural and Natural Resources Development
- Non-Agriculture, Forestry, And Consumer Sciences Faculty Award Of Merit: Mary Louise Schultz , Department of Philosophy and Humanities
- Extension Faculty Award of Merit: Roger Nestor , Barbour County Extension Office Junior Faculty Award of Merit: Cindy Fitch, assistant professor of human nutrition and foods, Division of Family and Consumer Sciences (F&CS)
- Senior Faculty Award of Merit: Kerry Odell , associate professor of agricultural and environmental education, Division of Resource Management (RM)
- Outstanding Service to the West Virginia Chapter: Jean Woloshuk , Extension Specialist4H Youth Agriculture
- Student Service/Leadership Award: Petra Meier , Covington, N.Y., Division of Animal and Veterinary Sciences (AVS)
- Outstanding Seniors: Cheryl Carlin , F&CS, Morgantown, Erin Master , AVS , Reedsville and Kavara Vaughn , AVS , Morgantown
- Outstanding Juniors: Natalie Sanders , AVS , Kingwood, and Kathleen Coffers , F&CS, Morgantown
- Outstanding Sophomores: Natalie Bumgarner , Division of Plant and Soil Sciences (PSS), Elizabeth, and Cheryl McCauley , AVS , Flemington
- Division of Animal and Veterinary Sciences: Benjamin Baker , Morgantown; Carrie Cantrell , Charleston ; Jessica Cipoletti , Wellsburg ; Audra Henderson , Fairmont,; Jessica Jividen , Eleanor, Karthik Mohan , Beckley; and John Odhiambo , Morgantown
- Division of Family and Consumer Sciences: Kathleen Coffers , Morgantown; Whitney Combs , Capon Bridge; Alisa Eubank , Jane Lew; Sara Hildenbrand , Columbia, Md.; Alison Keith , Elkins; Bethanie Morris , Core; Rachel Otto , Morgantown; Jillian Rogers , Summersville; Jennifer Sale , York Haven, Pa.; Amanda Standish , Hurricane; Heather Treadway , Beckley; Danielle Williams , Milton, N.Y.; and Angela Woodburn , Morgantown
- Division of Forestry (FOR): Megan Jones , Mt. Airy, Md.; and Brandy Langley , Leonardtown, Md.
- Division of Plant and Soil Sciences: Laura Paugh , Baltimore, Md; and Cara Sponaugle , Shady Spring
- Division of Resource Management: Tomohiko Omori , Akishima, Japan
- Davis College Graduate Programs: Yohannes Hailu , Morgantown
- Davis College Faculty and Staff: Gene Felton , assistant professor, AVS ; Kenneth Martin , Division Leader, WVU Extension; Joseph Moritz , assistant professor, AVS ; Chad Pierskalla , assistant professor, FOR ; Matthew Wilson , assistant professor, AVS ; and Robert Pitts , Extension specialistveterinary medicine
- Davis College Alumni: Stacey Hawkins , Hanover, Md..
Since 1917, the Society of Gamma Sigma Delta has been strictly honorary in character, election being conducted by faculty members of the chapter. Seniors, graduate students, alumni and faculty in the Davis College’s academic fields are eligible for election. Seniors must be in the upper 15 percent of their class and show promise of future leadership. Graduate students must show outstanding ability. Faculty must have demonstrated exceptional teaching, investigational ability, or service for a period of at least three years. Alumni are eligible for election no sooner than five years after graduation by virtue of significant service in any of the aforementioned fields.